AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had another post about how the action will stick open if the charging handle is pulled back slowly to the rear. The damn thing just stays open until I give the handle or rifle a good smack.
It’s better than it was When I first cleaned and lubed it. It was REAL bad! But honestly, I’ve never had a new one do this.
it still hasn’t been shot yet, due to circumstances.
what do you think about the gas piston? Could the rough edges be causing a drag?
i sent an email to PSA about it, but who knows how long it will take for a response.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Usually with an AK variant, the bolt carrier when pulled back slowly will get stuck on the hammer. This is normal due to the clearances of newer rifles. Usually it goes away with use, and since the AK is designed to have the carrier pulled fully back and then released to slam forward, most people never see this.

The head of the gas piston looks normal. It is also normal to see scratches on it from contact with the gas block. The gas piston should be slightly loose on the carrier which can allow slight contact with the gas block

·
Registered
7 Posts
@MoparPDC
My psak g3 gas piston looks exactly the same. I only noticed it after taking it out to clean after the range. Shot about 100 rounds almost thought it melted somehow(?) Also same deal with bolt holding back as you described. All I can tell you, there were no hicups at the range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for the info. It makes me feel better. ESPECIALLY about the head of the piston...
Like others advised, I’ll just go make boom and have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indy, why wouldn’t the concave part of the piston be finished like the rest of the piston? Any ideas?
This thing is brand new, never been shot.
It just seemed like that would be a place where rust would spread fast, due to it not being plated, and it almost looks like rust IS starting.
I wish I could see pistons from other makes to see how theirs looks......

·
Registered
268 Posts
The best advise you could be given is to shoot it, a lot! You have a PSA gas piston, it's steel not stainless. As far as the rust goes it will most likely get blasted off when you shoot it. If you don't plan to shoot it any time soon you should oil everything and store it.

If you don't mind I'm going to give you a logical answer to your question regarding the piston finish. For proper function it is fine, that's it.

I have a GF3, I purchased it because I didn't own a USA made AK and it was the only USA offering I was interested in. I also wanted to form my own opinion and not just gather them from the web.

Go shoot yours, I'm betting it will perform satisfactorily

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
What GTPI said, if the gas piston is any mild steel, some rust is unfortunately part of the deal. Also like GTPI said, give it a light coating of an oil like Breakfree CLP to protect it, but you should wipe it close to dry when you take it out to shoot it as the piston carbons up a ton and any oil will just add to the carbon coating. I use a wire brush on a dremel after every range visit to clean mine off, but I am a little obsessive about cleaning. :D Not really needed unless the carbon build up is excessive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts