AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy, gents! Just popping in here to see if this is salvageable or not. I recently purchased a Yugo NPAP from Atlantic and got it shipped in damn quick despite the holiday season, though when it arrived to my FFL, the dealer and I noticed that the rifle looks slightly canted, but that it was probably normal for a gun for this price. Against my better judgement, I signed the paperwork and took it.

However, when I finally get around to breaking it down to clean and polish it, but I stopped and noticed BOTH the rear and front sights are canted, but I'm not sure if I can work with this or not because I have very limited experience with rifles. Here are some pics for the curious: (Big pics, watch out!)

I haven't gotten a chance to use it, though I have a crate of 1000 rounds coming in -- but I'm curious at to if I can shoot this thing with any accuracy whatsoever. Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered!

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
the ak is generally snake like about centerline in my opinion.
see if it shoots accurate to the sights.
does the receiver look twisted down the top rails?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed an unevenness with the gas tube as it leans ever so slightly to the right, though it's hard to tell for me because I don't own a level or vice. Yeah, I know I suck. Anyways, the perceived gas tube cant could be the hand guards being poorly installed on the rifle. Right now I'm just curious as to if I can actually shoot it, and if it'll have anything approaching practical accuracy. What I might have to do it shift the front sight way over to the right, in line with the rear sight so that I can "Gangsta" shoot it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I did what I could for the straightness of the AK -- I established a control for the level:

Here is the same level on the rear sight block itself:

And here is a top-down view of the same rifle (you can see the rear sight cant):

I guess all that remains now is for me to take it out to the range in a week or so to see if it can hit anything. I suppose next time I'll have to be more careful with what I buy from Century -- I would've gotten the DDI milled rifle but they sold out at the time of purchase. :(

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If it shoots straight or not you know in your heart that every time you pick that weapon up you are going to look at how crooked the damn thing is and are never going to be happy with it. Send it back and get another one from the manufacturer. AKs are considered to be in spec and issuable militarily even with crooked parts if it shoots to whatever standard each country uses but this for you is not the military and unacceptable to us civilians. The condition of your weapon is not something that happens just to lower priced AKs but to ALL of them, many Arsenals and Saigas have gone back with canted everything so it is not just Century but they seem to be the biggest offender, but fortunately they also mostly correct the problems quickly as I have heard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Omega. Send it back. You'd never be happy. Heck, from the top down pic, it looks as though the whole barrel is pointing to the left.
Its a shame it came that way, NPAPS have had a decent reputation lately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response, Chelios.

Unfortunately the barrel hangs to the left, which I can see through the receiver with a light source on the other end. It appears that both the gas tube and barrel are twisted and canted away from the main body of the gun. I've contacted Atlantic about the issue so hopefully an exchange could be done. I really don't trust Century's "gun smiths" to fix it so I'd hate to send it to them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Apparently I spoke too soon about NPAPS having a good rep lately. (see other thread about garbage metal). But I still love mine.
I'm sorry you got a bad one. Keep us posted as to what happens with Century. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
They look pretty canted. I can deal with a canted FSB but the rear I cannot. The best way to look at sights for canting is down the muzzle end, with your firearm unloaded :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it's pretty off index. Atlantic insisted it was okay and the misaligned rifle was normal, so I went to shoot it. Then this happened after sixty rounds.

All in all I'm not happy with them about this.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd replace the shepard's crook in the Yugo with one of the plate retainers offered by others. It's not a big deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered, thanks Panzer.

Yeah, the range officer told me I should've bought the older Yugos or even Norincos because they're built like tanks, but he's never seen a failure like this. At least it's only an American (?) part and can be replaced with little difficulty -- but this certainly isn't what I expected out of an AK for its very first run, heh. Next time I'll be sure to save up for a decent milled gun and then swap out the Tapco retainer plate and trigger group for a RSA or something like that.

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
The retainers springs can work fine in an AK if they are installed correctly. TAPCO triggers are also good to go. Once you learn how to install the FCG and retainer you can range test for cant etc.,
A milled receiver AK is no guarantee of quality or function. Sometimes a rifle has assembly issues and creates headache for the owner.., of returning, exchanging getting repair etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help, gents. Just updating my progress so far.

With the new retainer plate, the bolt cycles more freely that it used to. The trigger pin has some wobble, but it's not going anywhere with the plate locking it in. My only concern is the hammer pin isn't fully inserted with a slight recess to the tip on the other side of the receiver, but it is secured by the plate. Should I be worried about it? Otherwise, the rifle appears to work fine. My marksmanship is terrible with Aks so my shooting at 50 yards is spread to hell; if I could get AR sights on there I'd be trucking.

All in all, thanks for the replies, you have all been helpful.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My only concern is the hammer pin isn't fully inserted with a slight recess to the tip on the other side of the receiver, but it is secured by the plate. Should I be worried about it?
A picture of what you describe would be helpful for an accurate diagnosis.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A picture of what you describe would be helpful for an accurate diagnosis.
Here is a video of it cycling:

Sure thing, though I'm not super concerned about it since I've been unable to force it out of place with a few lights taps. The retainer plate appears to be holding it in acceptably. I've included a picture anyways; but again it's probably nothing to be worried about I think. The rifle cycles VERY easily now, so I'm pretty excited about it -- I doubt it'll malfunction again anytime soon. :cool:

Again, thanks for the help gents.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It does look pretty low in the hole. What's the other side look like, does it stick out further? If you push it with your finger on the left side, does the right side come out flush? Maybe the pin itself is a little on the short side. As others have said are you sure the plate is in the groove on the pin correctly? Is the other pin the same, or is it longer. I'd measure both pin lengths and see if they are the same or not.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Your hammer pin is not in all the way, the groove on the axis pin is caught on the receiver. Remove the retaining plate, and move the hammer around while pushing the axis pin in. What you're looking to do is to center the axis pin so it will pop in all the way. You'll get the feel for it pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts