AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm new to your forum and might not be posting this in the right spot, but I'm still figuring out the navigation. I'm looking to pick up a Preban FEG Kassnar SA85M AK47 on GunBroker and live in the insanely restrictive state of CT. There's currently a loophole in the law that allows for the purchase of pre-ban AKs and AR15s as long as there's "proof" that they're actually pre-94.

The seller tells me that all Kassnar AK47s are pre-bans since they went out of business in 1989. I assume that's true but am wondering if there's any other way to confirm this in case the CT authorities come knocking?

Thx.
FEG Kassnar.jpg FEG Kassnar2.jpg

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'm new to your forum and might not be posting this in the right spot, but I'm still figuring out the navigation. I'm looking to pick up a Preban FEG Kassnar SA85M AK47 on GunBroker and live in the insanely restrictive state of CT. There's currently a loophole in the law that allows for the purchase of pre-ban AKs and AR15s as long as there's "proof" that they're actually pre-94.

The seller tells me that all Kassnar AK47s are pre-bans since they went out of business in 1989. I assume that's true but am wondering if there's any other way to confirm this in case the CT authorities come knocking?

Thx.
View attachment 2939 View attachment 2940
The receiver markings should be enough to ID the rifle. The problem becomes whether or not the authorities know this in the event they ever come knocking, or if they even care, is another matter entirely.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. At the risk of another basic question, how do I use the markings to get more info on the gun? I tried searching Kassnar imports but seem to only find info on handguns or others buying/selling similar guns. Good point about the CT authorities; never know what to prep for. They are currently overwhelmed with trying to keep up with all the new regs. Can't even get an answer to a simple question without waiting months. Our tax dollars at work.....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thanks. At the risk of another basic question, how do I use the markings to get more info on the gun? I tried searching Kassnar imports but seem to only find info on handguns or others buying/selling similar guns. Good point about the CT authorities; never know what to prep for. They are currently overwhelmed with trying to keep up with all the new regs. Can't even get an answer to a simple question without waiting months. Our tax dollars at work.....
You can try the search function here on the site using a different variations of the info. stamped into the rifle or start a thread about it in the Hungarian section.

Reactions: DinkyDeb

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll give it a try. From what I've been reading on several sites, the pre-ban Hungarians are considered very good quality.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, there's a "window" right now that allows for pre-ban AKs and ARs to be purchased. Many CT gunshops are carrying them but they're really overpriced (not that they're any real bargain on GB either). See the link below on how the law has been clarified:

Preban ?Assault Weapons? | CCDL Blog

·
Banned
950 Posts
Except 7.62x39 AK's are outlawed in Connecticut from my understanding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gun shops in CT have done their own research and are selling AKs and ARs that are pre94 so I'm assuming they would not be putting their businesses at risk if they weren't confident of this.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
The gun shops in CT have done their own research and are selling AKs and ARs that are pre94 so I'm assuming they would not be putting their businesses at risk if they weren't confident of this.
That's not always the safest assumption

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps not but the only data points we have to go on right now, along with the link and documents I referenced above. The state is not providing anything else since it's clear that they missed this when they rushed the new laws through.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
You might want to consider a thumbhole stock rifle in 5.45x39...most were good shooters and mil-surp ammo is available...just a thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that ammo type would be considered a AK74, right? assume that can be found in a pre-1994 make as well? Thx.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
that ammo type would be considered a AK74, right? assume that can be found in a pre-1994 make as well? Thx.
Correct on AK 74....the Romanian built Intrac MK.ll and SAR-2...both with original optics rail and well made with original barrels. Some consider the Intrac the better on consistent quality, but I have had several and have not seen differences other than maybe the finish color quality.
The mil-surp ammo is plentiful and reasonable for stocking up...http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/5.45x39

...Intrac Mk.ll....SAR-2

·
Registered
864 Posts
One other group of rifles to consider is the Mitchell imported Yugo AK-47/M90 series of rifles. All were pre-ban, and were available in 7.62x39, .308, and 8x57.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very interesting additional options. What's the best source(s) for finding some of these, or Polys, etc.? Seems like the GB auctions are really pricey. I see there' a marketplace section on this forum but don't see anything I can buy there right now. Assume it's "hit or miss"?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hit or miss is right. Multiple forums, auction sites, contacts in neighboring states' gun shops are your best bets. You really don't have an in-state supply, so you guys have to pay premium prices and bid right next to the big bucks collectors that are adding some of those pre-bans to their safe-queen collections. Low bucks options are early Romy SARs, Chinese BWK93 .223 thumbhole stocked rifles, unconverted MAK90s, and NHM91s. The BWK93 is mechanically the same as an 84S.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Very interesting additional options. What's the best source(s) for finding some of these, or Polys, etc.? Seems like the GB auctions are really pricey. I see there' a marketplace section on this forum but don't see anything I can buy there right now. Assume it's "hit or miss"?
Place a WTB or want to buy ad here. This is viewable by members only and may open some options for you..

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/33-want-buy-trade-ak-related

1 - 20 of 25 Posts