AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone!

I'm new to the forum and new to the AK world. I just purchased an N-PAP at our gun show last week, along with a couple of Tapco 30 round mags, and some Wolf Polyformance HP ammo. I took the rifle to the range and put 80 rounds through it without a hiccup.

My rifle background is all US product, privately owned and in the USCG and DEA. The "roughness" of the Kalashnikov design was impressive, but I can see how incredibly tolerant and reliable it must be.

I'm not an "investor/collector", I have guns to shoot and stay in practice. My plans are to zero in the iron sights at 25M (I ordered a sight tool) and then add a red-dot scope on a side rail (both from UTG) and then zero that. I also ordered a scoutscopes.com rail via Century arms and may try a different sight there. When the weather gets warmer I'll probably do the "old school" zero at 100M at an outdoor range.

I'm interested in stock/grip options - I know that the N-PAP isn't quite "standard" but Century offers a T6-style stock that may work, and I'm sure there are other options.

Looking forward to joining the conversations here, and looking forward to recommendations on ways to modify my rifle.

Tim Metzinger
Engineer, Pilot, Husband, Dad

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Welcome to the AK world and the forum.

Is there a reason why your wanting to swap out the current stock? The wood stocks actually work quite well and can take a lot more abuse than aftermarket stocks. Some grips can add comfort but your current yugo grip is top quality. Did you not like it when you shot the rifle? I ask because a lot of newcomers to the AK rifle want to swap out certain parts right off without giving the factory parts a chance first.

IMO the only part lacking on the AK rifle is in the sight department. The rear blade sight leaves alot to be desired. A upgrade to a peep sight is alot better for functionality. Ultimately It all comes down to what you prefer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new to AKs as well, but am very happy with my OPAP. I bought it almost a month ago but the weather has been too lousy to go out shooting. This will change quickly! :)

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Welcome.

Try to stay away from UTG, even if its just a casual range toy. Its more or less airsoft stuff. and might or might not hold zero. Stay away from top cover mounts, they never hold zero. Scout scopes are not great if you want to have iron sights. Remember you get what you pay for.

Before you go changing stuff around give the OEM parts a chance. They are well thought out and there for a reason. Doesnt mean you will like it, but give it a chance.

I dont mean to rain on your parade or anything. Just trying to save you some money because most of this stuff is either low quality or boutique and a lot of us went through this and learned the hard way!

Anyway, welcome and enjoy. Aks are great rifles as long as you are not trying to do MOA sniper shooting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the AK world and the forum.

Is there a reason why your wanting to swap out the current stock? The wood stocks actually work quite well and can take a lot more abuse than aftermarket stocks. Some grips can add comfort but your current yugo grip is top quality. Did you not like it when you shot the rifle? I ask because a lot of newcomers to the AK rifle want to swap out certain parts right off without giving the factory parts a chance first.

IMO the only part lacking on the AK rifle is in the sight department. The rear blade sight leaves alot to be desired. A upgrade to a peep sight is alot better for functionality. Ultimately It all comes down to what you prefer.
I have the composite stock, and in order to use the iron sights my cheekbone is pressed hard against the stock. Too hard, frankly, as my cheek is sore after about 50 rounds. Getting the red dot sight (either on the all-aluminum UTG mount, the Ultimak M9 (with a riser if needed), or another solid mount) will let me raise my head a little.

The grip's a little small too. As I said, I'm gonna get it zeroed with the iron sights at the range this week (so what if my cheek hurts), and then I'll see how firm the UTG side mount is. Might replace the (plastic) furniture with a Century T6 kit and the Hogue Grip and bottom half, and put the ultimak M9 gas tube/rail up front.

The nice thing about the gun is that it's like my Miata - even if I find I don't like something, I haven't spent a ton of money -If I throw away the UTG mount and Red dot away I'm out less than $60.00.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Shoot "ANY" AK with the iron sites a thousand times(no matter how canted or weak) and you will be able to shoot anything within a reasonable AK's limitations like it was a Les Bauer build! A good shooter isnt made by his sights, scope, red dot or other, he's made by the time he accrues shooting and how many rounds in all kinds of conditions. DO that and you are at the AK's limit and THEN IMO consider ancillaries to step up a notch beyond you physical ability. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shoot "ANY" AK with the iron sites a thousand times(no matter how canted or weak) and you will be able to shoot anything within a reasonable AK's limitations like it was a Les Bauer build! A good shooter isnt made by his sights, scope, red dot or other, he's made by the time he accrues shooting and how many rounds in all kinds of conditions. DO that and you are at the AK's limit and THEN IMO consider ancillaries to step up a notch beyond you physical ability. My 2 cents.
I agree with the principle, god knows I've applied it to archery, riflery, diving, flying and driving. Good coaching in the beginning helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I have the composite stock, and in order to use the iron sights my cheekbone is pressed hard against the stock. Too hard, frankly, as my cheek is sore after about 50 rounds. Getting the red dot sight (either on the all-aluminum UTG mount, the Ultimak M9 (with a riser if needed), or another solid mount) will let me raise my head a little.

The grip's a little small too. As I said, I'm gonna get it zeroed with the iron sights at the range this week (so what if my cheek hurts), and then I'll see how firm the UTG side mount is. Might replace the (plastic) furniture with a Century T6 kit and the Hogue Grip and bottom half, and put the ultimak M9 gas tube/rail up front.

The nice thing about the gun is that it's like my Miata - even if I find I don't like something, I haven't spent a ton of money -If I throw away the UTG mount and Red dot away I'm out less than $60.00.
Well I guess the stock isn't working for you then. If you had a wood stock then I would say sand it until it works for you like a lot of people have. Personally I prefer the yugo m76 stocks but I don't think it would help you much. Unfortunately there's not much on the market for yugo stocks. I would hold off on the stock if your planning to run optics on your rifle the majority of time as they sit higher.

There are a ton of options out there for grips. If your finding the yugo grips too small then maybe a grip that has removable backstraps is what you would need. I've had good luck with CCA grips in the past.

The UTG scope mount is good to go. I have used the same one for years and it's always held up and held zero. Nice solid piece.

Either way you go post some pics of the rifle after your done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some photos of the rifle. I've made the following modifications so far based on feedback here and my own research:
I replaced the pistol grip and the lower forearm grip with overmolded parts from Hogue, and I installed the Ultimak M9 gas tube with Picatinny rail. It took a bit of work - I had to grind away a bit of the heat shield in the forearm so that the Ultimak mounting brackets would clear. Not difficult, took five minutes with a dremel tool, and you can see the cuts made in the close up. It took a bit of coaxing to get the retaining piece on over the Hogue grip but that's what hammers are for, and it's not like the gun is delicate. (and for the record, tapping was required, not full swings).

I also installed a Tapco fluorescent front sight post, to make it a little easier to see.

Tomorrow I'm off to the range to zero in the iron sights, then I'll put a UTG red/green dot/circle sight on the front rail and will zero that too. I'm thinking of the Century adjustable rear stock in the future, it feels like I have to have my shoulder too far back when I have a good cheekweld and sight picture.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Welcome to the forum the Yugo rifles are good rifles. Are you a biz jet/corp jet pilot? What do you fly?
Just wondering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the time to take it to the range and zero it in at 25 meters. First I zeroed with the iron sights, and then fine tuned the Primary Arms red-dot sight. The tight group in the center was shot from the seated position with a rest. The remaining groups from the corners were shot standing freehand, and reflect more on my (in)ability to hold still than the rifle's accuracy. Now i just need it to get warm so I can go to an outdoor range and try some 100 meter shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can try a limb saver recoil pad and a padded cheek rest. These can work on a variety of rifles. Switching to a synthetic stock of the same shape won't address the problem. Another aftermarket one may not solve it either. Amazon has cheek rests and recoil pads.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Granted this is a PSL buttstock but the idea is the same. This field expedient saves my cheek bone from the painful punishment of a day at the range. You can adjust the thickness of the cheek pad to the most comfortable level for you, the shooter. I've even used dense sponges sewn into some khaki fabric then either laced or taped to the buttstock. In many cases it is a requirement when using optics to get the correct sight picture.

IMG_5035.jpg

Welcome, I've learned a lot in the short time as member.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I had my PAP, I found putting my face closer to the dust cover alleviated the old "Yugo cheek punch."

If you're up for it, try zeroing at 50 yards with the rear sight on the Battle Sight setting. It helps for shooting targets beyond 200M without having to change the elevation on the rear sight.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
When I had my PAP, I found putting my face closer to the dust cover alleviated the old "Yugo cheek punch."

If you're up for it, try zeroing at 50 yards with the rear sight on the Battle Sight setting. It helps for shooting targets beyond 200M without having to change the elevation on the rear sight.
I like shooting folders and dont get cheek punishment. As stated, moving you check weld back so it is resting more on your anterior deltoids. Ive dont 200 rounds like this with my Chicom and Yugo folders with the same no soreness shooting session.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome.
I put a modular folding stock on my OPAP.
Ace is the best known (almost a generic term now) but there are others that use the same 2 bolt pattern.
The Yugos are unique and need an adapter to use these, Ace and Krebs each make one.
You can put a folding hinge on too, or just bolt your stock to the adapter.
Mississippi Auto Arms website shows some stock options, Google will help find others.
Here is my OPAP with the Manticore triangle stock and hinge on the Ace adapter.
i have since gone to a Galil style stock I like better.
You also might find something you like in some of the photo threads.
Have fun with it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts