AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new around here, so thanks for having me. I recently moved back South and have, thusly, began rebuilding my "arsenal." I have never been one for rifles (mainly handguns and a couple of .22's here and there), but now that I am back in the land of unlimited features and magazines (and some open areas to shoot) I've gotten very interested in trying out some long guns. I recently started an AR build (I've shot them before, thought they were pretty cool) and continue to work on it.

Last Saturday, I was in Cabelas and saw a highly overpriced Century Arms AK (don't remember which model) on the rack. I picked it up (first time I've actually had the chance to pick one up after living up north for so long) and knew immediately that I needed to get one. Balance and weight felt awesome. The bolt and charging handles didn't feel like a toy (like the AR IMHO). Anyway, I found one at PSA, liked that it was American made and had gotten the Rob Ski stamp of approval, and bought it. Delivered to my FFL on Tuesday.

Upon first inspection, looks like a nice firearm. Feels solid, good balance. I'm not 100% sold on the blonde furniture, but overall, very nice.

Two issues:

1) The gas tube is a little loose and rattles. I understand that is a common issue. The fix is one of those gas tube tension springs?

2) The gas tube release lever seems to be somewhat loose. It has some resistance when I move it, but I can ultimately move it pretty easily with my fingers.

Should I be concerned about any of this/take it to a gunsmith/fix it myself? I am really looking forward to shooting this beast (weighs about ten pounds).

Also, considering a cheap red dot (will have a MI side mount soon). Suggestions? Primary Arms micro dot?

Thanks so much for having me!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Don't know anything about those PSAKs.
How far south did ya go?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Two issues:

1) The gas tube is a little loose and rattles. I understand that is a common issue. The fix is one of those gas tube tension springs?

2) The gas tube release lever seems to be somewhat loose. It has some resistance when I move it, but I can ultimately move it pretty easily with my fingers.

Should I be concerned about any of this/take it to a gunsmith/fix it myself?
I would fix those issues myself. That's just me though. Gas tube lever is easily fixed with a punch and small hammer.....but you have to be careful not getting it too tight or bound up.
The spring clip thingy might work for the tube/upper HG ordeal. I just don't know the specs on that PSAK and why it may not have one to start with. Might also look into getting a surplus AKM upper to see how that fits. Again......not sure if things will fit correctly. If you're a DIY kinda guy, even trial and error would likely be less costly than giving it to a gunsmith and doing without your new rifle for a month or more. Then to think that any "gunsmith" you might take it to may very well be doing trials and errors on it themselves.
Just sayin

·
Registered
674 Posts
put a primary arms advanced micro red dot on an ultimak and your wobbly tube and sight issues are solved at the same time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had those kind of issues on American builds and factory foreign rifles. I'd look into the tension spring or e different gas tube might tighten it up also. The lever, I have ones that will slide easily by hand and ones I have to use a deadblow mallet to move. I'm not saying it's good but if it's not so loose as to accidentally be flipped up I wouldn't worry about it. How's the PSA otherwise? I was thinking about picking up their blemished barreled recievers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems pretty good. Trigger (in dry firing) seems okay. Very solid feeling. Action is a little rough. Accuracy is supposed to be excellent, but we shall see on that front.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Those microdots are supposed to be good and PA has a great warrantee. RS Regulate sells lightweight durable mounts if you are into saving weight.

RSREGULATE

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you have money sky's the limit. What do you want? lower 1/3 co witness, lightweight, more adjustable... many don't use EOTechs on Aks because there are better options and there are way more options. Maybe a 30mm red dot scope on an rs regulate with rings .

·
Banned
185 Posts
Aren't AKs supposed to be loose? It's my understanding the space between parts is what equates to reliability. I mean, that's the same reason why the old 1911s would rattle when you shake 'em.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aren't AKs supposed to be loose? It's my understanding the space between parts is what equates to reliability. I mean, that's the same reason why the old 1911s would rattle when you shake 'em.
Thats not all of it. With the ak, there is a lot of space in there for dirt, grime, and debris to fall away from the working components. With smaller weapons, all the parts are more tightly packed together with less space surrounding for that junk to get knocked out of the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Now that is very interesting. Never knew that about the 1911s

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Hello,

I am new around here, so thanks for having me. I recently moved back South and have, thusly, began rebuilding my "arsenal." I have never been one for rifles (mainly handguns and a couple of .22's here and there), but now that I am back in the land of unlimited features and magazines (and some open areas to shoot) I've gotten very interested in trying out some long guns. I recently started an AR build (I've shot them before, thought they were pretty cool) and continue to work on it.

Last Saturday, I was in Cabelas and saw a highly overpriced Century Arms AK (don't remember which model) on the rack. I picked it up (first time I've actually had the chance to pick one up after living up north for so long) and knew immediately that I needed to get one. Balance and weight felt awesome. The bolt and charging handles didn't feel like a toy (like the AR IMHO). Anyway, I found one at PSA, liked that it was American made and had gotten the Rob Ski stamp of approval, and bought it. Delivered to my FFL on Tuesday.

Upon first inspection, looks like a nice firearm. Feels solid, good balance. I'm not 100% sold on the blonde furniture, but overall, very nice.

Two issues:

Should I be concerned about any of this/take it to a gunsmith/fix it myself? I am really looking forward to shooting this beast (weighs about ten pounds).

Also, considering a cheap red dot (will have a MI side mount soon). Suggestions? Primary Arms micro dot?

Thanks so much for having me!
sounds like no issues so far. if you prefer tighten the gastube play by using pliers creating mushed out ugly metal at rear lips of gastube it will go on tightly not rattle any. the gastube lever sounds perfect. welcome aboard!

you can just swap out the furniture to whatever I think. got a link or pic? ive not seen these yet. milled, stamped or hybrid?

·
Premium Member
13,070 Posts
It should be fine, ramble on, you'll soon have a whola lotta love for your newly acquired black dog...js

:D..Welcome to the board

·
Registered
11 Posts
How far are you from their stores? You may be able to take it in and have it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delay in responding. I managed to get the flu and gash the crap out of my finger in the same day and have been out of commission.

Lemme see if I can post a picture...

I got the MI side rail. It definitely doesn't seem to be centered. Ugh. I was going to mount an optic, but now I will probably sell the MI mount, get the Ultimak, and put an EOTech clone on there (and hope it doesn't melt!)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts