AK Rifles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deck hand, I guess. Ive never done this kind of work before. Ive been a mechaniac for the past 15 yrs. Wanting to do something different. Im not afraid of hard work or bad weather. Just wonderin what to expect as a new guy with no exper. Thanks ak shooter

· Registered
3,095 Posts
kykartracer said:
Deck hand, I guess. Ive never done this kind of work before. Ive been a mechaniac for the past 15 yrs. Wanting to do something different. Im not afraid of hard work or bad weather. Just wonderin what to expect as a new guy with no exper. Thanks ak shooter

Just stay out of the Indian Ocean! :twisted:

j/k, sounds like it would be fun. You would probably have some great experiences and good stories when you were done....

ps, make sure you don't get seasick before you sign off on anything! Seriously, I have a cousin who spent 2 years in the navy that didn't know he got seasick-he's in the Army now after those couple years of self-described "hell" :grin:

· Registered
4,473 Posts
kykartracer said:
It is not too physically demanding work, and most companies have training programs for new people.

· Registered
23,494 Posts
Rotdorn said:
Tronchaser said:
Woodsman said:
Don't sleep on your stomach!
lol, he's not going on a submarine, just a barge! :grin:
Yeah 50 men board a submarine, 25 couples disembark! :goof:
Clear the poop-deck!

· Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Spent 9 months on a modified oil rig building barge in the Persian Gulf around 1988 while I was in the Army. While I was not part of the daily running of the barge, the Brown & Root contract workers that I saw on a daily basis were constantly working every day of the week. Great guys but people you did not want to ever fuck with as the barge had a lot place to get in an "accident" if you know what I mean.

I respected everybody that worked there as anyone not pulling their weight was immediately let go and sent on the next tug out. Unless stateside, expect a diverse group to work with of Portuguese, Spaniards, Greeks and Indians.

Not really work I would seek out but if it float your boat, go for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Prime_Chance

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Speaking of having stories,

One of my co-workers used to work on a tugboat pushing bardges. Now this guy is always cracking jokes or saying funny shit at the right moment. One day they had a couple of barges tied up. He and his foreman were on the bardge and one of the wet rigging ropes poped a whiped him across his back. He dropped to his knees arching his back in pain. His foreman ran to him and asked if he was ok, to which he replied "Ok...ok...My name is Toby" (You'd had to have watched the movie "Roots" to get it.)

· Registered
1,942 Posts
lilmoose0 said:

One of my co-workers used to work on a tugboat pushing bardges. Now this guy is always cracking jokes or saying funny shit at the right moment. One day they had a couple of barges tied up. He and his foreman were on the bardge and one of the wet rigging ropes poped a whiped him across his back. He dropped to his knees arching his back in pain. His foreman ran to him and asked if he was ok, to which he replied "Ok...ok...My name is Toby" (You'd had to have watched the movie "Roots" to get it.)
OMG that is so funny. He must be fun to work with.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
kaiservontexas said:
lilmoose0 said:

OMG that is so funny. He must be fun to work with.
Actually he's a fucking retard, but hey....it makes the time go by. We call him Milkbone, because he's been attacked by dogs so many times.
:twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.