AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time ak owner/enthusiast and lurker here. Just finished giving this magpul set a faux wood finish and wanted to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
When you like old school and tacticool at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, that looks amazing! What process did you use?
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Here’s the process

1. Purchase magpul furniture set(I used a Plum colored set).
2. Degrease/clean the set using a liquid dish soap like Palmolive or Dawn(put on a pair of latex gloves at this point as well to avoid prints/dirt).
3. Spray paint the parts using Rustoleum Warm Caramel Satin and let dry for an hour or so. When spraying, keep your can 16” or so away and let it cover in a multilayer misting technique as you move the can back and forth, as opposed to a thick, stand still spraying technique. Otherwise you’ll have runs in the paint.
4. Using a white bristle chip brush, apply Red Oak 215 Minwax wood stain. Use just a bit at a time and spread it evenly. Your brush strokes should be spreading the stain as opposed to adding more and more. Also, make long, horizontal strokes that mimic a wood grain. Apply another coat if needed. I did two coats to get that color/grain. Let it dry overnight. It’ll be sticky/tacky the next morning so be careful handling the parts. Try your best to not touch the stained parts much.
5. Spray parts with Rustoleum Matte Clear. Be very careful once you spray the clear. If you touch the parts before they dry, the paint and stain will rub right off. I had to completely redo the stock twice because I rubbed my glove on it.
6. Let dry for an hour.
7. Spray another layer of clear coat. Let dry for a couple hours.
8. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
do not get any cleaning products on it , it will melt that paint like the wicked witch of the west , especially something like bore blast that stuff melts rubber gloves , you may want to get some Aluma hyde clear and spray a good lathering on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do not get any cleaning products on it , it will melt that paint like the wicked witch of the west , especially something like bore blast that stuff melts rubber gloves , you may want to get some Aluma hyde clear and spray a good lathering on it
Thanks for the heads up and for the suggestion. I was looking for a product that would seal/protect it more than the clear rustoleum. By chance do you know if that product is a true clear or does it leave a film/residue once applied?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks for the heads up and for the suggestion. I was looking for a product that would seal/protect it more than the clear rustoleum. By chance do you know if that product is a true clear or does it leave a film/residue once applied?
your main concern is cleaning products unless you want to dismantle every time you want to wipe it down with CLP for preventative , aluma hyde II or some type of gun coat product are designed to handle such products

im not kidding either , i was working on a project yesterday , i had latex gloves on and was spraying parts with carbon buster and forgot i had the gloves on , they literally disappeared , i sprayed a sks star mag with enamel once and regular Hoppes #9 melted the paint

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
After putting the furniture on the rifle it looks better than I thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts