AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang! I've been lurking here for a little while and yesterday, I finally found my AK! It is a Yugo M70B1 new in the box. As soon as I saw it, I knew that I had to have it! It was a little more than I was prepared to pay, so I made a nice down payment and put it on lay a way!

While new to the world of AK's, I'm not new to guns and shooting. I own several other beautiful guns and I also enjoy taking high quality photos of guns. If your interested, here is a link to my photo gallery.

http://bigmacktrucks.invisionzone.com/MusicVid/RocketFoot's Photo Gallery/album/index.html

Otherwise, I'm looking for any tips and pointers that you can tell me about my new Yugo and hopefully, some positive feedback that I done good! I also promise some awesome photos as soon as I get her out of the "lay awake!"

·
Registered
512 Posts
RocketFoot said:
Hi gang! I've been lurking here for a little while and yesterday, I finally found my AK! It is a Yugo M70B1 new in the box. As soon as I saw it, I knew that I had to have it! It was a little more than I was prepared to pay, so I made a nice down payment and put it on lay a way!

While new to the world of AK's, I'm not new to guns and shooting. I own several other beautiful guns and I also enjoy taking high quality photos of guns. If your interested, here is a link to my photo gallery.

http://bigmacktrucks.invisionzone.com/MusicVid/RocketFoot's Photo Gallery/album/index.html

Otherwise, I'm looking for any tips and pointers that you can tell me about my new Yugo and hopefully, some positive feedback that I done good! I also promise some awesome photos as soon as I get her out of the "lay awake!"
Welcome! I haven't been here long but this place is really great. What kind o camera equipment do you use? I'd like to get into photography, especially to be able to take nice pics of my guns, but I don't know what kind of stuff I'd need to be able to get pictures like those.

Wise choice on the Yugo. I'm assuming it's one of the Century builds. They look a little plain from the factory. Personally I'd consider a nice oiled set of teak furniture from Ironwood and maybe a coat of Gunkote or similar to really make it look good. This one isn't mine, but this should give you an idea:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi RocketFoot - congrats on your Yugo and welcome. I got my first AKs in March - both Yugo M70s - saw Yugos and the ubiquitous WASRs at a gun show and I knew then it had to be a Yugo. I couldn't decide which to get - the fixed stock or the underfolder, so I got both. :grin:

FWIW, I sent both my Yugos back to Century for warranty work and wasn't happy about it, but they did a good job and turned them around reasonably quickly.

Make sure you look for a canted front sight. My B1 had a twisted rear sight leaf that i couldn't repair myself. It came back good as new......

They shoot great now - enjoy, and post some pics!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Exothermia said:
Welcome! I haven't been here long but this place is really great. What kind o camera equipment do you use? I'd like to get into photography, especially to be able to take nice pics of my guns, but I don't know what kind of stuff I'd need to be able to get pictures like those.

Wise choice on the Yugo. I'm assuming it's one of the Century builds. They look a little plain from the factory. Personally I'd consider a nice oiled set of teak furniture from Ironwood and maybe a coat of Gunkote or similar to really make it look good. This one isn't mine, but this should give you an idea:

Rocketfoot, you'll like that B1

That's teak, but the metal finish is hot blue. I used a homebrew recipe that you can read all about if you do a search in the 'Build It Y' forum.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
nice photography. those revolvers are beasts!

i love my B1 (even though century sent it with a couple flaws for me to work out):

the gun is a blast and if urs isnt 100% perfect when you first take it shooting, odds are the yugo section right here will answer any of your questions and get you on track.

im new to AKs and shooting, in general, and I can say this forum has been a huge help. have fun, be safe! :D

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum! By the way, I also have a Yugo. Mine is the underfolder from Century, and I really enjoy mine. Someday I would like to replace the black furniture with original wood, but in the meantime, the black furniture has kind of grown on me. My Yugo is surprisingly accurate, and is very reliable. By the way, those are some great photos you have there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to bring her home! Mine is stamped Century but also has Zastava stamped on the block. I did check the FS for cant and it seems to be right on the money. (I'll know better once I get to throw some lead down range! LOL) I came in a about $575 including tax and background check.

It's kinda cool how I found this rifle (or how it found me) I called my dealer about a week ago and told him I was looking for an SKS or AK. He didn't have anything at the moment so I moved on. I courted a few sellers with some Yugo SKS's but both fell through. Then, outta the blue...the Dealer called me and said, "You better stop in, I got something you might like!" I said, "Ah, OOOK...I'll be in Sat. after work." So I show up and he hands me a Saiga 7.62 with out the conversion and I'm thinking that I hope this isn't what he wanted me to see. Then he comes out of the back room with the Yugo M70B1 and I about wet myself! Turns out that he found it in the backroom while loading for a gun bash! He had ordered 3 for a guy several months ago and the guy only took 2 and he forgot he had it. Now, I don't know alot about AK's yet, but I knew this wasn't no WASR10 because it did have the mag well dimples and beautiful real wood, and I also know that Yugo's are usually well built...so I put down a healthy down payment and here I am! It's just kinda funny how things happen!

Thanks for the comments on my photography! I use an off the shelf Kodak Z740 5.0MP camera with 10x digital zoom. It is a good rig, but suffers in low light conditions. I usually try to use natural outdoor lighting for the best results! (Hence my old, unstained picnic table background! LOL)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Exothermia said:
SA58, that's an awesome M70. :hail:

I'm having one built right now that'll look just like yours when done, minus the optics.
Sweeet! you'll like it. Mine was built on a first generation ORF receiver.. it was a bear to get it up and going but worth the end result. I put a new zastava barrel on it while I was at it. You should think about putting an optic rail on it. If you can't swing the M89 rig, maybe go with the M77 rail and mount. I think the rails can be had for about $38. The mounts were more like $120, but you can put any optic with a 1" body on the mount. Or, if you have the money PAD gets in the ZRAK ON scopes calibrated in 7.62 from time to time.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
RocketFoot said:
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to bring her home! Mine is stamped Century but also has Zastava stamped on the block. I did check the FS for cant and it seems to be right on the money. (I'll know better once I get to throw some lead down range! LOL) I came in a about $575 including tax and background check.
You'll dig it, I had a hard time locating an M70B1 with a decent barrel to build on.. in decent shape they were far less common than the under folders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts