AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone in the forum.

I am new to the forum, hope there will be more information on AK's than what can be gathered and discussed in the swiss shooting community.

The guns in my possession are an ISD Bulgaria BSR74, CSA VZ61 with the stock (no SBR laws in Switzerland as of yet) an a trusty swiss cood war combination, the SIG 210 and my dads Stgw 57.

If anyone wants to see pics or wants to know anything about swiss gun laws or swiss gun culture just ask, I'll be glad to answer.

Wish you all the best
Somnio

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome a board! We would love to pics of the STG57.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Welcome to the group!

My daughter returned not too long ago from a stay in Lugano. She loved it.

Glad to be able to learn about Switzerland laws regarding our hobby.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are very welcome! We’re looking forward to your input here.
I recently spent several weeks in Switzerland, mostly in Engelberg and Bern.
Beautiful country and super nice people.
I was able to visit a gun shop, and I saw a few STG 57’s for sale, ranging in price from 700 CHF to 900 CHF.
(1 CHF is about equal to 1 USD). Is this a normal price? Here in the US they go for several thousands.
Best Regards ——-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are very welcome! We’re looking forward to your input here.
I recently spent several weeks in Switzerland, mostly in Engelberg and Bern.
Beautiful country and super nice people.
I was able to visit a gun shop, and I saw a few STG 57’s for sale, ranging in price from 700 CHF to 900 CHF.
(1 CHF is about equal to 1 USD). Is this a normal price? Here in the US they go for several thousands.
Best Regards ––-
Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit in Switzerland.
STGW 57's are pretty common in Switzerland, so 700-900 CHF seems a bit high to me... A STGW57 with worn finish and "shot out" barrel can be had for 300-400 CHF, one with good finish and thight barrel for 600-800 CHF. The "shot out barrel" is referring to swiss target shooter standards, the rifle will of course work and shoot very well a long time after being considered shot out by a target shooter. I think the rifles you saw may have had a diopter sight or other target shooter accessories installed, which of course will bring the price up.
What you in the States are getting are most likely the PE57's, which are the semi-auto only civillian models. These also run higher in price in Switzerland as well, I think around 2500-3000 CHF. The main reason the STGW57'
s are so much cheaper is that they are either military guns that were kept by servicemen (which got them for free) or surplus guns which had to be sold cheap because there were a lot of them floating around. An old timer of my local shooting club even told me stories about him having to send off literally pallets of rifles to be destroyed. He said it broke his heart, as these were new, never used guns.
I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great, thanks for your reply ——-

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit in Switzerland.
STGW 57's are pretty common in Switzerland, so 700-900 CHF seems a bit high to me... A STGW57 with worn finish and "shot out" barrel can be had for 300-400 CHF, one with good finish and thight barrel for 600-800 CHF. The "shot out barrel" is referring to swiss target shooter standards, the rifle will of course work and shoot very well a long time after being considered shot out by a target shooter. I think the rifles you saw may have had a diopter sight or other target shooter accessories installed, which of course will bring the price up.
What you in the States are getting are most likely the PE57's, which are the semi-auto only civillian models. These also run higher in price in Switzerland as well, I think around 2500-3000 CHF. The main reason the STGW57'
s are so much cheaper is that they are either military guns that were kept by servicemen (which got them for free) or surplus guns which had to be sold cheap because there were a lot of them floating around. An old timer of my local shooting club even told me stories about him having to send off literally pallets of rifles to be destroyed. He said it broke his heart, as these were new, never used guns.
I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Those are some great looking guns. Personally, I'd keep the AK74 just the way it is. That laminated stock set looks great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts