AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around for about a week and a half, on and off with no luck for AKM parts kit. I'm planning on doing my first build soon. I haven't heard much about them but the KAM-17 from Kolarms in Slovakia is about the cheapest I could find with nearly everything included. I was getting relatively excited that I had found a kit for under 500 bucks, but I then saw a front trunnion with un-drilled rivet holes, should this be a deal breaker? Can you drill front trunnion rivet holes on a drill press?

Here's the link: KOLARMS-Slovakian-AK47 Rifle Kit - AtlanticFirearms.com

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not a deal breaker and can be done with a drill press. Recommend using cobolt bits. However this will not be an easy kit and there have been mixed reviews for these kits. search on this forum you will find some threads on here and maybe on akfiles.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a deal breaker and can be done with a drill press. Recommend using cobolt bits. However this will not be an easy kit and there have been mixed reviews for these kits. search on this forum you will find some threads on here and maybe on akfiles.com
Is the trunnion drilling jig on akbuilder suitable for this? and are there any other jigs for this? I'll look around, see if i can hear any good stuff.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes, with the standard akm 23mm bushing.
  • Barrel trunnion adjusted to work with 23 mm barrel journals no extra work needed

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
you don't need a jig to drill trunnion holes. in some respect virgin trunnion is easier to build on than surplus. makes a barrel pin work a breeze.
make sure your drill press doesn't have severe spindle run out due to low quality or worn out bearings. there are people on here that try building a gun with a shit drill press just to ruin things in the process.
you will also need a half-decent vice and v-block. as well as metric drill bits. for barrel population and receiver FCG holes if you go 80% route. all this stuff can be found on ak-builder. if this is your first build i would recomend going with 100% receiver, one less way to mess things up. price diference betwen the two is insignificant but worth it for a first timer.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
if you don't want to gamble on the movie-prop gun maker kit, there are couple of decent kits in akfiles classifieds. maybe more money but real military parts which will hold value much better than kolarms will.
also have you acquired tools needed for the ak-building? shop press, riveting jigs? this stuff can get expensive real quick, often costing more then gun you are building. if your goal to build just one or two AKs this might not be most cost-effective route. just FYI. not sure how far along you are in your planning/buying stages just don't want to get into this w/o having all cards on the table.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would not try that kit if you do not have at least some machining and tool back ground and the proper tools {like dnepr0mike said} just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is a little hard for the first build if your asking... I have done two of these with virgin parts and all I use is a old trunnion to mark the rivet holes and use cobalt bits to drill the holes.... One word of caution do not press hard on the bit let gravity do the cutting and don't rush take your time let it cut some metal and clean then cut again and clean... I only let the weight of the drill and only slight pressure on the shaft. More so when drilling the barrel pin... You don't want to break a drill bit there... On Amazon they sell a drill set M42 Stratton 3 Step design and I have not found anything better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have one of these kits ( got it from atlantic month of so ago, now OOS) while they are very nice, everything is new/virgin.
None of the holes are drilled (as in none, zero, notta.. mag release pivot, all blocks, trunnions, etc), Mind you, some of these parts are hardened and need to be reasonably precisely processed. Nothing is pre-assembled, from sights to recoil spring assembly, it all needs doin'. My gas port in the gas block isnt drilled, later ones I guess are.
Barrel obviously not populated.
For a 1st time, build, this maybe a bit too advance and thuis becomes problematic, as you may not have reference to where & how things go. You will also need the proper tools to populate, drill, center & square, headspaced, etc. It can be a bit much when just starting out. Can it be done, yes of course, will it cost you, absolutely.. you need those things, plus barrel & receiver, patience and commitment.
My advice, start with a kit that has an origianl barrelled trunnion or better still, fully populated barrel already. learn to walk before ya run, otherwise you can certainly trip. best of luck eitherway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts