AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
Those pictures are from the island of Ie Shema, those are B 24Js. They were with the 5th Army Air Corp 43rd Bomb Group 65th Squadron. My father was there at the same time, he has some pictures of a couple of those as well. Most notably "Cocktail Hour", "Booby Trap" and a "Dragon and his tail". Dad was with the 5th AAC, 90BG, 320Sqdrn aka The Jolly Rogers. If you see the tail fins (twins on the B24), the color and pattern tell you which squadron they were. ie red/white checks was 65, black w/white 64th. Dad's had the skull and crossbones on the fins, like below except his squadron was red.

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
I read an article about a guy (iirc he lived in TX or AZ), that worked in the place where they recycled the planes. I forgot how many he got, but he got a bunch of the panels and made a fence at his home from them. Dad told me after the war was over, they left their plane on the runway, with all of their flight gear ( :wink: most of it anyway). He always wondered what ever became of his plane.

· Registered
2,976 Posts
You know, I'm really glad that you posted these as well because people seem to always make the mistake that those times were so puritanical. I have no doubts that it was a simpler, more polite and courteous time but it isn't like people weren't people.

I still fall into that trap sometimes. Example, I get emails from IMA and they were offering vintage WWII metal boards that although contained no nudity, depicted women provocatively and I thought to myself, "that can't be vintage because of the way she's posing". Well, these sets of photos and others that I've seen on the net lately of GIs having their tents and hooches festooned with pinup girl photos disprove that.

I guess there are some forms of expression today that some from that some of that generation will find vulgar, or they'd say it if not believing it but it seems like a natural progression to me. In fact, oddly enough, some expression in those times were in a way freer than now.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
Rotdorn said:
I read an article about a guy (iirc he lived in TX or AZ), that worked in the place where they recycled the planes. I forgot how many he got, but he got a bunch of the panels and made a fence at his home from them. Dad told me after the war was over, they left their plane on the runway, with all of their flight gear ( :wink: most of it anyway). He always wondered what ever became of his plane.
Isn't there a member on this forum who bought surplus Mustangs and then flew the planes to a civilian airport so the aviation fuel could be resold and the planes could be chopped up for scrap metal?

· Registered
1,871 Posts
theres a pic floating around on the net of the tail of painted with a bomb dropping on hitlers head, i cant seem to find it again anyone else seen it or have it?

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
Rotdorn said:
Isn't there a member on this forum who bought surplus Mustangs and then flew the planes to a civilian airport so the aviation fuel could be resold and the planes could be chopped up for scrap metal?
DK about that, but there was a local scrap metal dealer here locally that had found a railcar full of P51 Mustang props NIB that he had held onto for 50 years,he passed away. When they went out of business nobody knew what they were, and the were sold for scrap!

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
JOHNO said:
The Guy's who painted the "Nose Art" were extremely talented!
Yes they were!

When I was working at WPAFB, I got to look at a few dozen nose art pieces cut from different aircraft before they were scrapped in the AF Museum storage area that is not open to the public.
On a side note, you could spend three full days in the storage area, and never see all the stuff they have...truly facinating.

· Registered
774 Posts
My father in law painted nose art while stationed in the Phillipines during WWII. (he was trained at the Chicago Art Institute in the late 30's and early 40's) he then brought home an Australian war bride and we have no pics of the stuff he did. she wouldn't let him keep any. we do have pics of palm trees and an atoll that is unnamed and some other "SFW" kind of stuff. he's long gone but when we told me the stories of what he painted he got all wistful and so did I.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
Rotdorn said:
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
Rotdorn said:
DK about that, but there was a local scrap metal dealer here locally that had found a railcar full of P51 Mustang props NIB that he had held onto for 50 years,he passed away. When they went out of business nobody knew what they were, and the were sold for scrap!
A little OT, but I heard that back in the day, military surplus was sold for scrap value, not the value of the objects. That's how Bannerman got their crap so cheap. They would pay over the scrap value, which made it impossible for scrap dealers to compete at auction.

· Registered
1,459 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
My dad has real pictures he took of this one on IeShema

http://www.b24bestweb.com/dragonandhistail1.htm

talk about talented!...somebody put a ton of time into this one!

eta...found a pic of the different color tail fins red was the 90BG The 90th was also known as the Moby Dick BG, that is the reason for the mouth on the front.

Dad told me many of these were "D" models, that they converted to "J" models in the theatre, by cutting off the nose and adding the articulating turrent in its place

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.