AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to ditch my current AR. I've come to learn, for me anyways, is that I love building them from scratch..... well loose parts... Anyways, I love seeing something I put together with my own hands, from individual parts I picked out, come together and work.

I digress, I have this AR I built,

American Spirit Arms lower with a LPK from a LMT.
ASA upper with a new PSA 16" 5.56 M4 profile barrel
ASA bolt carrier with a new BCM bolt
Daniel Defense EZCAR handguard.

The AR is becoming a money pit as I am always wanting to do something to it. And now with a new job, it's getting tossed to the back burner. I have a guy wanting to trade me a mid 70s Winchester 1894 30-30 and a 180 series Mini 14. I've seen pics of both and for the most part I likey. The problem is the reliability of the Mini's bolt, Ruger no longer supports the 180 series and a new bolt is almost non existent. The pics he sent show minimal wear but the Mini's bolt is cast. I know the 180 series shares the same bolt as the AC 556 so I think it might be OK. I don't shoot as much so I think that might help and from a purely SHTF scenario...... I still have my AK....

Others have offered a Century WASR 2 5.45, a non converted Saiga in x39..... Oh and a Hi point...... :dance:

Thoughts? I'm thinking I want to do it but.......

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I would not do it for what he is offering you. IMO, keep the AR, or get something else in trade. The 30-30 has a certain cool factor, but the Mini 14 is a waste of time IMO. Not accurate, hard to find and increasingly expensive mags, and not a lot of spare parts around anymore.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Additionally, you have a nice piece of kit there. Just be happy with it and don't progress further and turn it into one of those mall ninja guns.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I don't know about the 30/30, I had one 40 years ago but never cared for it. I do know about the older Mini -14s and I would not trade anything for one, it is not a serious weapon or even plinker. just put the AR away for the next round of panic buying.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
A well made lever action in 30-30 is a great deer rifle depending on where you live, and more importantly, if you can even use it for game like deer. Not worth an AR unless its an older pre-64 IMO.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
JoeMomma said:
I would not do it for what he is offering you. IMO, keep the AR, or get something else in trade. The 30-30 has a certain cool factor, but the Mini 14 is a waste of time IMO. Not accurate, hard to find and increasingly expensive mags, and not a lot of spare parts around anymore.
Spot on! :dance:

Winchester and something other than a Mini 14, I had a 180 series SS Ranch, it would eat anything I put in it but you couldn't hit shit and $35+ mags is a huge turn off. I wouldn't take the trade unless he threw in a pile of non wolf 5,56 ammo.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
rparker762 said:
Others have offered a Century WASR 2 5.45, a non converted Saiga in x39..... Oh and a Hi point...... :dance:

Thoughts? I'm thinking I want to do it but.......

I would actually take the WASR 2. If you can get a few magazines thrown in you will be making out like a bandit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My first "serious" gun purchase was a stainless mini-14. Really turned me off to semi autos until I handled a ban era Colt. I took the mini-14 to a smith because I was sure it wasn't holding zero, I couldn't figure it out. At times I could not keep 10 shots on a silhoutte target at 100 yards after shooting a mag! Granted back then I was completely new and had some bad shooting habits, but it was nothing more than a pretty lead slinger. I have heard the new ones are improved, but there is NO CHANCE IN HELL I would ever own another one. When I see earlier minis for sale I always think "someone is going to get ripped!"

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Seventh Seal of the Apocalypse has been broke.....I agree with JoeMomma... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I knew you would come around.... :grin:

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
DON'T DEW IT

Put it away somewhere and you'll stop wanting to tinker with it. Out of sight out of mind. Hell you might start putting together another one.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
No!

The RemWinSavMarlins can be had all day at $300, in my neck of the woods. Last time I bought a 30-30 it was a Marlin 336 it was C&R elegible and cost me $250. A big hell no to the Mini. While they can be made to be accurate ......why? Whats the point if you already have a semi auto 223 that doesnt need to be. And as others have said, factory mags are pricy. I know one guy who has a mini14, its the only one I ever shot and its actually pretty accurate and feeds steel case ammo like bras but thets the exception not the rule.

HiPoint on the other hand....hmmm... :grin: :twirl:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10Gauge said:
DON'T DEW IT

Put it away somewhere and you'll stop wanting to tinker with it. Out of sight out of mind. Hell you might start putting together another one.
That's the problem.... life is so much simpler without an AR in the house. I mean the AK just sits there. No need for anything but a little petting now and then.... :twisted:

I do think though that I might try and get a 74, possibly another 47......... I've always wanted a 74. Nothin fancy, just a good shooter with a scope mount...... Then I can just leave 'em be. The MAADI I have either has a canted FSP, gas block, or "GASP" a bent barrel but it shoots true so I can't complain. Would really like one nice AK.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts