AK Rifles banner

Need the Photo from Ezell's Book The AK47 Story, of North

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  rayman1 
G
#1 ·
Korean Type-68B AKMS it is the only Photo I have seen with the 4 Retangle shaped cuttout's in the Folding Stock Struts. Paul

G
#2 ·
Re: Need the Photo from Ezell's Book The AK47 Story, of Nort

Well I have the Photo just need someone to post for me, if you can send me a email I can send the Photo I dont have luck here on this sight with Photo's, you have a different system.

#3 ·

Here are the pictures. I would still make the argument that these are field mods or if not field mods this a one of a kind experimental stock. To my knowledge this is the only picture of a NK rifle that has ever surfaced with this stock.

G
#4 ·

Thank's for posting them. No It is also in Ezell's Book. I used to have it, showed a full Photo of one. Plus in the North Cape Pubs. Book it is mentioned but not shown, plus he stated that it was both in Retangles and Ovals as well. Paul

#5 ·

Type-56-1 said:
Thank's for posting them. No It is also in Ezell's Book. I used to have it, showed a full Photo of one. Plus in the North Cape Pubs. Book it is mentioned but not shown, plus he stated that it was both in Retangles and Ovals as well. Paul
I'll bet its pictures of the same gun.

The retangle cut one looks as if someone took a flat file to the edges of the stock. Find just one picture of a solider carrying one of these rifles. What is the title of the North Cape published book ?

#6 ·

It's the same photo in both Small Arms of the World (12th Ed.) and Kalashnikov: The Arms and the Man.

Makes sense, since they're both by Ed Ezell. The latter book credits the photo to the US Army.

The North Cape book is Joe Poyer's Kalashnikov Rifles and Their Variations. The cutouts are described, but not pictured. Perhaps he's only parroting what he saw in Ezell's work?

#7 ·

Take into consideration the origin of that particular rifle - it was not obtained directly from North Korea but rather a captured example, most likely. The fact it's missing the cleaning rod may be an indication of that. Due to that, a previous owner prior to weapon's capture probably performed some unique "custom" work on the struts in an effort to possibly lighten the weight of the rifle.

As Jerry also stated, NKPA has never been observed with a rifle with that strut modification. Also, I've talked with representatives from the South Korean DIA about various models of the North Korean Kalashnikov and none have ever observed this modification, either.

The NKPA would never permit a soldier or militiaman to perform such a field modification to a rifle while in service, nor would an armorer likely do such a modification for field use as it severely weakens the struts to an already fairly weak design.

I think if you're trying to determine whether it was a prototype or another variant, you might be barking up the wrong tree. It's very likely just a field modification done by someone in Central/South America, Africa, or where ever the weapon was obtained from.

G
#9 ·

The North Cape BOok was Kalashnikov Varations. I had thought this was real, never did figure out why someone would weaken it that way. Paul.

#10 ·

Some where I have the picture of the rifle with the struts that hve been relief cut along the edges, looks to have been done with a file, but I cannot find it. I'll look some more today and see if I can post the picture.

#11 ·

Type-56-1 said:
The North Cape BOok was Kalashnikov Varations. I had thought this was real, never did figure out why someone would weaken it that way. Paul.
I think you're misinterpreting things. Definatey the rifle is "real." But what is your definition of "real." It's North Korean - just picked up somewhere and put into a museum. Many weapons museums feature weapons that were military captures. In fact, a great deal of the weapons in museums are just that. Few are ever weapons that came straight from a factory, etc. So, the rifle is what it is. I'm not sure what you mean by why someone would "weaken it that way." The author simply featured what there was regarding that rifle.

If you research a lot, you'll eventually find that many authors and publications will frequent the same places for their research or photographs (same museums or pattern rooms, same photographs from related entities, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.