AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1954 Russian made kalashnikov ak47 underfolder 7.62x39 that came back from 'nam. It went under water in Katrina, and has some level of rust internally. It also has the plugged barrel. Can any 7.62x39 barrel be pressed in? Universal size kinda thing? And if polished, can it still be operated with some rust pitting?
Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Are you looking to keep it a dewat or build as a semi auto? Pics would help but any good builder could likely restore the firearm for you. Just make sure it was dewatted to ATF specs.

CMS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more input

I haven't done anything out of fear of the consequences; but my ol lady wants to get it right, and i love the idea.. I read on another forum, that if it has 3 pins, or the 3rd gas port? It is considered fa even if converted sa.. If at's not true i definitely want to convert. Im'a get some pics up, and see what's what... Thanks for your, and any one else who has some input for a newbie...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I haven't done anything out of fear of the consequences; but my ol lady wants to get it right, and i love the idea..
You are wise to be wary of the consequences of doing things wrong. Am I correct to assume that this firearm does not have NFA (National Firearms Act) documentation (like a Form 1 or Form 4)? If so, I'm 95% sure that it can't be legally reactivated (except by and for a select few people) because you'd basically be making a full auto. Since 1986 it has been illegal to make full autos for regular joes.

I read on another forum, that if it has 3 pins, or the 3rd gas port? It is considered fa even if converted sa..
It's 3 pins. Yes, if the receiver has the ability to accept 3 axis pins (this does not include the cross support), then the receiver is full auto. It doesn't matter that the fire control group may only allow it to shoot semi auto.

The bottom line is that as far as I know, there's not really anything you can legally do to the rifle. As a matter of fact, I'm 95% sure that you'd be in big trouble if you got caught with it. That said, perhaps there's something about firearms that were legally deactivated in the past that I don't know about. Perhaps someone else can chime in who has knowledge of reactivating NFA firearms.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
The big question is the paperwork and how it was brought back. With proper paperwork, I believe (please verify) that it can be reactivated to full auto. Not sure on that though.

If there isn't any paperwork at all .. your basically going to have to cut the receiver per ATF specs (3 cuts, etc) and build it up on a semi-auto receiver.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
As said, with no paperwork then your only realistic option is to cut receiver and then the parts are still GTG.
A slimmer option is to find a federally recognized museum that will accept it as a donation on a Form 10. With the recent influx of these type weapons, most museums have representative samples and will not take it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts