AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting together a 1970 AKM project and a 1971 AKMS project. Both kits are Izzy and matching numbers except for the topcovers. Tokoi only has 1976 and 1977 guns pictured, both of which are different than the earlier versions (I have a matching 1977 to compare). I need some good close-up pics of a 70-71 topcover.

Also, if anyone has a couple spare Russian topcovers from 70-71, I'm shopping! :grin:

I'm using the pics to compare to the spare romys I have. They may be a close match for the Russian.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. I should have thought of those. I'll check em out.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hey Rob...........

Does your correct demilled '72 Tula have the sling swivel on the SIDE or the BOTTOM of the buttstock??

Thanks!!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Tomovich said:
Hey Rob...........

Does your correct demilled '72 Tula have the sling swivel on the SIDE or the BOTTOM of the buttstock??

Thanks!!!!!! :cool:
Side-

1972 is on the top.. Remember that it uses one of those distinctively shaped buttstocks. It alslo uses one of the early gas blocks.

I have played with a 1974 as well, and it uses a late gas block.

Here is a a Egyptian made maadi from 1971 (IIRC on the year)-

Obviously made from Russian parts. Selector marks are still in Russian.. Based on the receiver and buttstock, I would say Tula made parts as well.. Figure, maybe 1970 or eary 1971. It uses a Tula buttstock with bottom swivel.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Oh well, I was going to build a 1973 Tula example but the buttstock I have has the bottom swivel. I guess I could just get the trunnion dated 1969 instead! :goof: It hasn't been engraved yet, what do you think of that approach?? 1969 should make it more authentic and correct then? In your opinion anyway?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Here are some pics. from my 70 they might help. I also have a plo 71 on a GT receiver;
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Tomovich said:
Oh well, I was going to build a 1973 Tula example but the buttstock I have has the bottom swivel. I guess I could just get the trunnion dated 1969 instead! :goof: It hasn't been engraved yet, what do you think of that approach?? 1969 should make it more authentic and correct then? In your opinion anyway?
I would just use a little license and build a 1972 or 1971....

1969, not sure.. Have not seen one.. Not sure if Tula used their special buttstock then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts