AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired an AK-55 built on an Arsenal SLR-100 receiver by Blue Ridge. Ive come to believe the Purple-Plum finish on the bolt is more rare and desirable than others? How much is something like this valued at?
IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0444.JPG

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Nice AK but I do not believe the plum coloration on the bolt carrier is anything that would make the item any more or less valuable than any other. It is simply the way the blueing reacted with the carrier alloy, happens quite often when refinishing weapons.Higher nickel content steels and hardened areas are the most likely to display this purplish/plum effect.

Reactions: 22many

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well the understanding I had was that the bolt was not refinished, it came that way from the factory when it was made and was an expiremental finish. out of all the parts kit pictures ive seen only two seem to have this purple colored bolt. everything else ive seen happens to be just straight up chrome.

EDIT. (the serial number was one of the main selling points because it means it was obviously forged in the fires of hell)

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
The bolt carriers on the AK-55 were never hard chromed; they were in-the-white. High nickel content gives them a stainless steel look.

I agree with Brad. Your carrier has that plummy hue because someone's put a black oxide finish ("bluing") on it. You see that quite a lot on refinished parts, either due to the content of the alloy interfering with the bluing process or some deficiency in the bluing solution.

Who told you it was a rare experimental finish? That sounds like the kind of puffery someone selling humped parts would dream up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy I got it from said that, never really got into the Hungarian stuff till now but i only paid 1000 for the whole gun(and a stack of mags all commbloc milsurp, which happened to have a north korean 20 rounder) trying to figure out the sales pitches from the truths right now haha.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Sounds like you did well at that price.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Yeah, it looks like a great rifle and you got a fair price.

Does the serial on the carrier match the bolt, receiver cover, and return spring guide? Bluing can be removed and you can buff the carrier if you prefer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The North Korean mag. And all numbers on the gun match, I kind of like the blued look so i am going to keep it that way.
IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0481.JPG

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with Richard W. The AK-55 never came with blued bolts or bolt carriers. Blue Ridge was one of a few companies building AK-55's on Bulgarian Arsenal receivers back in the day but the only company that blued the bolts and bolt carriers along with the rest of the rifle. You paid a fair price and I must say the rifle is one of the more desirable AK-55's even though it may not be historically correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts