AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a buddy pass away this weekend and his dad( he's in ohio) wanted to know if I could get his collection sold in bulk to help with burial costs. He had some nice pieces and 2 sbr's. I'm on the east coast of florida, but his stuff is on the west coast. Never had to help with anything like this , so I have no idea where to start. His dad is going to get me a list of everything this weekend. If I had time to sell it all piece by piece here I would, but I think his dad wants this done asap. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
22,589 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There's a gun show in West Palm Beach this weekend. I'll be there with a table. There'd be more money selling individual pieces, but selling the entire lot could be done. Depending on what he had, the shop I work with might be interested.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll let ya know what he has Nathan, when I get the list from his dad..... the nfa stuff is a trust and it goes to him, but he doesn't want it....

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
Try looking into a local auction house in your area. When my Great Uncle passed, there was a lot of money raised quickly at his auction. I'm very sorry your loss, and my prayers are with his family and friends.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Selling them in bulk to a dealer will not bring full value as the dealer will want to get in low in order to make a profit. If they are priced right, they will move quick on the internet. You just need to be the middle man to move them for the family. We can help as far as getting the word out to the membership.

KF

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
List them on Florida Shooter's Network.Com. I too will be at the WPB Gunshow right at the front door. GARY

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Wait, let me get this straight. Your buddy that passed away (my condolences) lived on the West Coast, his father lives in Ohio and you are in Florida, right?

I take it the guns are on the West Coast, am I safe to assume they are in California? If so, what are the state laws concerning selling or transferring them out of state? I believe you will need a FFL involved in either case.

Secondly, do you plan to take possession of all the firearms in Florida to sell them? If so, you will need someone where they are at to ship them to a FFL where you are at.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, and commend you on your helping his father take care of his firearms; but do make sure you cover your bases in doing so.

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
GUYS,
Having personally dealt with disposing of a deceased friends gun collection, call in an AUCTION company. The respectable places will usually come to you and pick up the estate. They will also not sell anything out the back door. The place we used was very polite and professional. Their cut was a straight 20%, no hidden fees. You may think that's high, but the prices they got at auction floored me. They sold for much more than any gun shop would dream of and it all sold in one afternoon.

A browse through Shotgun News and some phone calls will surely find you some west coast auction houses that will treat the family right.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Still working out the details with his family. My buddy and I may take a ride over there next week. Some of you nay have known him on here as mcnee229. I may be able to get his non NFA stuff and sell it here. Not 100% sure. Depends on.what his family wants done.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sorry about your friend. I think the gun show table suggestion is the best idea so far. Selling in bulk would get you the funds needed to help with the funeral and burial services the quickest, but it will not net you the most value compared to selling them as individual pieces (depending on what they are).

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Keep in mind his Father or another trustee/beneficiary is going to have to call the ATF and have them (or you can) walk him through the process of removing the SBR's from the registry. If they're AR's it's easy to part out. If they're AK's, you may have to help him acquire some fake cans or extended brakes and have someone local tack them on...or demill it into a kit. Talk to him and ensure he absolutely does not want the SBR's. Explain that selling it is going to be a PITA that he's going to need to be involved in. Maybe he'll keep those guns, and either way, he'll need to file a permanent change of address with the ATF when he takes possession or moves them out of the state.

CMS

·
Banned
305 Posts
Not sure if the guns are in WA or OR, but if they are I maybe interested depending on what the family wants to sell. I've got cash now, and a WA state CCW. Please pm me with info.

Thanks, Will

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
I sell collections (working my way through 4 tons of Cagunzngear stuff right now) and would say there are quite a number of good suggestions here. Try to encourage Chris's dad to avoid what may seem like the most appealing option - selling it all in a group to a dealer - because he will likely get hosed. Dealers will typically offer about 20-30 cents on the dollar if they can get away with it. I'm sure we have more ethical dealers represented on this forum, but that kind of unfortunate theft occurs daily with estate purchases.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I sell collections (working my way through 4 tons of Cagunzngear stuff right now) and would say there are quite a number of good suggestions here. Try to encourage Chris's dad to avoid what may seem like the most appealing option - selling it all in a group to a dealer - because he will likely get hosed. Dealers will typically offer about 20-30 cents on the dollar if they can get away with it. I'm sure we have more ethical dealers represented on this forum, but that kind of unfortunate theft occurs daily with estate purchases.
wow did cagunzngear die?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts