AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm in a little bit of a jam. All I need for my 74M clone is a Russian scalloped muzzle break with bullet baffle and I'm done. Does anyone have one laying around? I'm willing to pay a decent price for it. Let me know. If not, could somebody point me in the right direction? I know Krebs has a repro but I'm looking for the real thing. And Tantal is all out of them. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm looking for a 5.45 not a 7.62. Not sure if they have the baffel wither but I'll look into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I wish you luck finding one with a baffle at a reasonable price. Having the baffle inserted makes it an illegal military firearms part in Russia.

I'm thinking about selling mine (which lacks the baffle) and just purchasing a US brake from Krebs.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Honestly, good luck finding one.

Only source is to luck out and get one that was on a deact which they dont sell in the US.. Even then, most have the deactivated ones..

They are very hard to get as spare parts, as the factory normally takes out the baffle, and they only supply 7.62 ones.. Even the .223 Saigas get 7.62 ones...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I can't find one anywhere then $150 is the best price on Russian one right? Unless someone wants to sell me one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you're right I think I'm just going to get a Krebs break theres no reason to go that far. Thanks Stottman. Has anyone tried Chris Butlers 74M style break? I might get one of those to see how they are.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the Krebs break right? You've convinced me that's the one I'm going to get. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
OK,now I'm baffled.Whats the difference in the scalloped Russian Brake and the Bulgarian or East German 74 brakes?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
JOHNO said:
OK,now I'm baffled.Whats the difference in the scalloped Russian Brake and the Bulgarian or East German 74 brakes?
Check out the sticky by Ekie.

Alles klar, Herr Commissar.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Andrei is absolutely certain he will not have the brakes. I am trying to get a Russian brake as well. Chris Butler makes outstanding quality brakes.
I have not seen his Russian clones, but I have one of his new Romy 74 brakes and it is authentic right down to the chrome lined bore.
Chris can manufacture a specific style brake if there are enough buyers.
They would run in the $75. price range.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
JOHN theres been quite an evolution in the 74 brake and its an interesting one.

$75 was how much I paid for my Russian 2? years ago and yes it has the baffle.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I was not sure it was bored in 5.45 mm. Perhaps I got confused with which of the two (krebs / butler) is the correct caliber.
And I have no clue as to which pattern of brake Chris is duplicating (In my case I need a mid/early 80's style).
I need to brush up on the subtle differences between production years before I would accept the off the shelf one.
All I know is that I was able to convince him to do a run of Romy brakes last year and I do know he can make anything we want, as long as it is justified by the toolup costs. If there is one particular style that he could sell a known number of, it is possible to get him to do it.
Whatever it is, I'm certain it will be a masterpiece of machine work.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay does anyone have a 74M front sight base that they are willing to sell. I was going to buy one from Tantal but he wants to sell the muzzle break the the FSB trogether.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have one from Kvar that arrived with the bayonet lug sides partially filed down. You would have to build up the sides of the lug with weld bead and file the tracks back into shape. I held it too long before I noticed it so cannot RMA it to KVAR. Will sell for half of their price. No pin and spring with it. New and is not drilled for retainer pins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts