AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in the process of building a 1988 mpi kms 72 clone out of a 1988 Egyptian AKM. From everything I read on here I have everything to make it correct except for the gas tube lever and gas block. I have a few questions and need some opinions. Here's my questions, please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a guy that's going to do the matte blasted blue for me and I was wondering what's correct for the bolt and bolt carrier, are they both suppose to be the matte blue? Also I bought a nos side folder that's semi gloss black paint, I got it cheap because it's scratched. Since I have to refinish it anyway should I have it blued or just repaint it? Last question. I'm going to try my hand at etching what would you guys use for a serial number? My Egyptian is a matching kit 9052. Any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
A bit off topic but is saving to find a German kit out of the question? You might kick yourself ruining an Egyptian kit as they will dry up soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I've debated back and forth about the same thing because it is a nice matching kit with all arabic markings. The only reason I'm building the clone is because I like the looks of the east german plus I have a nodak receiver layin around with EG markings. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to order a new receiver and run EG stocks just for the look. I think u may have swayed me back the other way sir. Either way I definitely want to pick up an original. I did see a couple 86 models on GB w/o trigger guards so maybe I'll just go that route. Quick question. For the correct finish Is everything that matte blue, stock, bolt/bolt carrier, internals, etc.?

·
Registered
510 Posts
ps_audi said:
Yea I've debated back and forth about the same thing because it is a nice matching kit with all arabic markings. The only reason I'm building the clone is because I like the looks of the east german plus I have a nodak receiver layin around with EG markings. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to order a new receiver and run EG stocks just for the look. I think u may have swayed me back the other way sir. Either way I definitely want to pick up an original. I did see a couple 88's on GB w/o trigger guards so maybe I'll just go that route. Quick question. For the correct finish Is everything that matte blue, stock, bolt/bolt carrier, internals, etc.?
They later 80's kits had a parkerized finish. The bluing were the earlier rifles.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You could get a receiver with SAR or Arabic, build your Maadi, just throw german funiture on it for now lol.

Then down the road find a German kit, which probably won't be getting cheaper.

·
Technical Advisor
15,512 Posts
The fit and finish of an Egyptian does not resemble a East German very closely. I guess if you ditch the FSB and clean up all the components and do some polish work. Not sure on 88 kit finish but the 85 kit I have is a nice clean, smooth phosphate. Much finer than any Egyptian. Not knocking your journey but maybe sell the EG receiver and get a Hindi marked for a build.., use crutch folder etc., if so desired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts