AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SLR-95 that I could use some advice on. I had the muzzle brake removed and a slant brake welded on during the ban. The problem is, I see at the end of the barrel just inside the brake a small ridge from either the weld, or the pin. The weld itself actually looks pretty bad. I have not fired it since getting it back, so I don't know if this very small ridge will affect accuracy or not, but I know that it was not there before. I am looking to convert this an AR-M1. What would the recommedations be?
1. Cut the end of the barrel off, and perm attach the AR-M1 flash hider?
2. Pull the barrel, buy a new one, and start over?
3. Try and just remove the brake that is welded on? (this would be pretty tough - it does not appear to be a little tack weld.)
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is this "ridge" inside the barrel? If so, I wouldn't attempt fireing it. A bullet could lodge at that point and the next shot could be very painful. I ould probably replace the barrel, if it were mine. I have cut barrels down and recrowned them with no problems, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe that the ridge is big enough to cause a bullet to get lodged in the barrel. It is inside of the barrel, but it is very hard to see. I am more concerned about it affecting accuracy. Does anyone know how long these barrels are? I am wondering if they are long enough to not permanently attach the flash hider. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Send it to a qualified gun smith for his opinion! I would use an Ak smith such as inrange.

·
Registered
133 Posts
vugger said:
I don't believe that the ridge is big enough to cause a bullet to get lodged in the barrel. It is inside of the barrel, but it is very hard to see. I am more concerned about it affecting accuracy. Does anyone know how long these barrels are? I am wondering if they are long enough to not permanently attach the flash hider. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
It could just be the chrome starting to let go. Hit it with a brass bore bruss and see if it flakes off. I believe the barrel is 16.25".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. After going back and going through the rifle, I am not even sure that I would consider it a ridge. Its more like a wave in the chrome. Its in between the lands and it is so slight that I have to really look for it with a bore light. I cannot see that it would be a problem as far as function, but I wonder if alot of firing would cause the chrome to break loose. Could it just be a slight wave in the chrome from the heat of the brake being welded on? I don't think that I need to cut the barrel down though. I have hit it with a bore brush and it did not seem to bother anything. I would hate to counterbore it for no reason. I am not sure that it needs to be counterbored. I will try and post a picture. I am going to dremel off the brake and see how the barrel looks underneath. The brake looks like it was welded to the front site. Any suggestions on removing the brake?
Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts