AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This is my 2nd post here but I'm needing help. I have a Romanian SAR1 and I recently installed magpul furniture and I am having trouble getting the the handguard lock lever to go back in to the down position???

I'm not sure why it won't go and I don't want to force it.. HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Are you using the original gas tube? I have seen some tubes that the rear part that fits into the rear sight base isn't the same shape as the slot in the sight block that it fits into. I have had to modify that section of the gas tube very slightly to get it to fit into the slot in the sight block.

I have also had a couple of times where I didn't get the gas tube aligned just right and it didn't slide into that slot correctly. .
I have also had a couple of gas tubes that had more metal where the locking lever cross pin hits it. A small file or even sand paper on the angled part of the rear of the gas tube allowed the lock pin to rotate with just enough resistance to lock the tube in place.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I had the same problem with my factory hand guard going back on. Slow and see where the resistance is. Aftermarket should be that much more than Romanian. And yeah, Like ScottyB says, always pictures.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
191 Posts
I'll get some pics tomorrow.. Thanks
Welcome to the wild west of the AK world, where tolerances and standards are as varied as the countries that produced them... Aftermarket additions to your AK may require some TLC with any of the following: Sand paper, file, rotary tool, or razor blade. If you intend to swap out furniture over the life of the gun, or put the original kit back on, don't modify anything on the rifle itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,

I finally had some time to look at things closer and I needed to sand the top handguard down a bit. It was holding the gas tube to high for the locking lever to travel freely in to the locked down position!!

Thanks for all the input. I got a thousand rounds of Tula ammo delivered today so I'm ready to rock!! 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts