AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin wants an AR...I know I know...He lives 1000 miles away, but knows I can generally find good deals...I am not willing to put forth the effort to sell him on an AK an he primarily wants it for plinkng and maybe some varmint shooting...He wants a flat top for easy scope mounting. He said he did not want a bull barrel.

I would post it at the other site, but I don't trust or respect the opinions of most of the AR guys. I have not kept track of quality or prices in the AR arena.

Can you guys point me in the direction of the best value?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Search his state EE and tell him to go look at it himself. Anything made by Colt, Bushy, or Rock River would be fine.

Accountant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,298 Posts
Colt, Busy, Armalite, Rock River and DPMS....Any of these would be a good choice....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,437 Posts
Buy a WASR and hand it over to TAPCO. He won't know the difference. We can loose one as long as it's still with us in spirit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Jicky said:
Colt, Busy, Armalite, Rock River and DPMS....Any of these would be a good choice....
+1..................... I would put RRA at the top of the list with Bushmaster next. Very good rifles. IMO Tell him to check ADCO.com or do a search. They have some very good prices on RRA's. They are a dealer. Thney will also customise his RRA from them at a very good price. WarDawg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Depending on how much you want to spend, I would go with the RRA Entry Tactical. My buddy got one for around 800, you can get it in a flat top for less. He got his with some special flat top + rear sight thingy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I am a big Rock River fan, with Bushmaster in a close second place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
i would have to say CMMG.

the guys will treat him right and they have a lifetime warranty. Jeff & John will make sure he is happy. they also could make sure it would be however he wanted it.

plus a bunch of nicer folk you wouldnt find.


http://www.cmmginc.com


Ronald
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
I have three Colts and one "Bushy", with a variety of uppers and a Carbon-15 pistol.....after years of shooting (some of it for real)... I'd drop the dime and get a Colt. Somebody once said: "If it isn't a Colt, it's just a copy". The ONLY problems I EVER had was with the Carbon-15 when using the old Wolf ammo, and leaving a round in an over heated chamber for a few minutes before firing.......



Just my 2-cents, FWIW.

:smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first AR I ever had was a Stripped lower and then a parts kit that had everything to put it together...Are their still places to get the complete sets?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Robpiat said:
The first AR I ever had was a Stripped lower and then a parts kit that had everything to put it together...Are their still places to get the complete sets?
This is what I did. I oredered a RRA Entry complete upper ( Bolt and chargeing handle included. I then bought a stripped RRA lower and a RRA lower parts kit . I also ordered a A1 stock with tube and buffer ( COLT , complete from CDNN ) . Put her all together and she's a fine running machine. Nice little carbine. It saved me alittle $$$ doing it like that and I got to pittle with putting the lower together. Learned alittle while doing it. Cheers Wardawg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
If you are going to get a plinker....

get a Star from CENTERFIRESYSTEMS

or an Olympic or other cheap AR from ALTANTIC FIREARMS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
1Gunner said:
If you are going to get a plinker....

get a Star from CENTERFIRESYSTEMS

or an Olympic or other cheap AR from ALTANTIC FIREARMS
With an OLY or other low budget AR you could get a Cast Lower. :chair:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
WarDawg said:
Robpiat said:
The first AR I ever had was a Stripped lower and then a parts kit that had everything to put it together...Are their still places to get the complete sets?
This is what I did. I oredered a RRA Entry complete upper ( Bolt and chargeing handle included. I then bought a stripped RRA lower and a RRA lower parts kit . I also ordered a A1 stock with tube and buffer ( COLT , complete from CDNN ) . Put her all together and she's a fine running machine. Nice little carbine. It saved me alittle $$$ doing it like that and I got to pittle with putting the lower together. Learned alittle while doing it. Cheers Wardawg
That's what I did...RRA Stripped Lower, RRA Flattop Upper.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Robpiat said:
The first AR I ever had was a Stripped lower and then a parts kit that had everything to put it together...Are their still places to get the complete sets?
I would whole-heartedly recommend Del-Ton for rifle kits. My first AR was a Del-Ton kit.
 
G

·
I've got 2 Colts, 2 Rock Rivers and a Bushmaster. Of these 5 easily
the best are the Rock River Arms. Fuction, fit, apperance are the best
of the 3 different manufacturers.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top