AK Rifles banner

Am I a dick?

• Yes, most likely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. While you display some erectile qualities, you are a purple helmet short of a load.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this AK I've been building... for about a year now. Build until I need a part, then stop. Build until I need a tool, then stop. Well, I finally have pretty much everything. Mostly.

The gun: A Chinese 5.56 barrel/bolt/carrier on an Global Trades un-drilled hybrid Euro/Chinese trunnion on an OOW 5.45 receiver?with some zippy weiger mags.

I bought some tools from maas guns because everyone on the FAL board ranted and raved about how great they were, and how great he was.

First, I ordered his trigger guard jig. And while you're at it, I say, send me one of your big-ass rivet sqeezin' bolt cutter things. I go out and stand by the mail box.

Now I consider myself to be a fairly mechanical person. I?m no machinist, by any stretch, but I?ve made a few parts here and there for my motorcycles and cars. I decide, against my better judgment, that I would read the directions before I used the tools? let me just go to his web sight and? hmm, not there, let me look in the box again? no, well let me search the ?build it yourself? directory, no, nothing there? Oh well, I tried. It?s not rocket science, right?

I got the package, and with great delight, opened it up. The trigger guard jig looked like shit. Not only did it look like shit, the four dimples where the rivets seat were not square, i.e., if the rivets on the left were seated in the jig, the ones on the right were ALMOST in the jig. Of course, I had to try it, and my rivets looked like bubble gum stuck to the bottom of a desk. Oh yeah, not only were the dimples in the jig not square, they weren't shaped like rivets. It appeared to have dimples, at one point, that were mostly rivet shaped, but then someone came along with 450 horse power nitro-injected dremel tool and 'cleaned them up' until they didn't resemble dimples at all. So of course I have to drill out my rivets, and replace them, and ding up my trigger guard in the process. That made me happy.

And, of course, I checked out the rivet squeezer, too. Now, if you haven't seen his squeezer, it's a little different than most. The rivet head buck is a separate piece from the bolt cutter jaws. Everything looked Ok, except the buck. When I set a rivet head in it, the dimple in the buck was smaller than the rivet head. I had to assume this would make big-ass smileys on my rivets.

I emailed Jerry, and he told me that the buck will be fine, just use it, and it won't make smileys. Ok, and about that trigger guard jig... he tells me how sorry he is, a bad batch got out, and he'll send me a new one, as soon as I send him the old one. What? Surely it would cost more in postage than the steel is worth, and this thing is certainly not going to build any AKs.

As some of you may know, Jerry had a stroke at this point. I really do feel for him and his family, my father had a stroke not too long ago (and he still won?t quit working).

Anticipating that I would never hear from anyone again if I didn?t speak up, I emailed his son (with condolences, as well as a reminder that I had a jig coming), who graciously accepted my word that Jerry was going to send me another, and sent me another trigger guard jig.

Problem solved? or not. On this jig, the dimple for the rear trigger guard rivet is too small, and it smileys the rivet (not a show stopper at this point, because it will be concealed beneath the grip); but it has another issue. The dimple for the rear trigger guard rivet is raised above the level of the four magazine catch rivets?so much so that when you attempt to press them, if you pressed the rear rivet first (and I did), that you can not press all four rivets evenly at the same time.

Now I have two rivet jigs that suck. But I don?t let that stop me. I keep building.

Next, I bust out the rivet tool, and proceed to smiley the fuck out of every rivet I touch, which is a bummer, because I?m not doing it on a test piece, I?m doing it on my rifle. Plus, you don?t need three hands to press a rivet with this rivet squeezer, but it might make it possible. The handles are so far apart when I begin the squeeze, I have no leverage at all?and it?s awkward to try to hold both handles, apply pressure, hold the ?buck? on the rivet, keep the tool centered on the buck, and the anvil squishing the correct part of the rivet. Just to challenge me even more, it seems, the ?anvil? jaw did not fit well into the mag well to squish the rear trunnion rivet. The only way I could even get the tool on it was to come in low from the rear, with the tool angled over the trigger guard. Oh, and I dicked with the adjustments on the bolt cutters, which helped very little. They say there is a ?learning curve? on these tools, but I can?t figure out how ?learning? will make the rivet heads fit in the buck and not have smileys on them.

So, please, somebody tell me.

How do you use a maas guns bolt cutter rivet squisher?

I turned up the regulator on my compressor to about 125 psi, and my $10 dollar Harbor Freight air hammer rivet gun STILL won?t make a decent rivet head. I?ve played with the regulator on the gun, too. Should I have bought the $12 dollar air hammer? I?m bucking against a piece of steel on the concrete floor. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

Is it wrong for me to expect to NOT have to modify the tools to get them to work?

For those of you that make your own tools, what size ball end mill do you use to make dimples for rivet squeezers and bucks, and how deep do you cut them?

If you don?t use a ball end mill, what do you use?

Is this thinly veiled review in the wrong forum?

Am I a dick?

I will post pics in the next day or two, when I mellow out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think you are a dick. I think you are very frustrated with a vendor who sold substandard tools. A build should be a "Zen-like" experience. When I build I am calm, focused and time literally flies by. I can be in the garage for 6 hours and it seems like minutes. Of course I walk into the house with a "new" AK in my hands, but that is best case scenario. I would suggest that you either get a refund from Maas, or modify the tools so they are useable or if all else fails throw the shit in the junk and don't do business with Maas again. I am sorry that your build experience is turning out shitty. I love building my own AKs and I am looking forward to my next build(s). Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I learned the hard way to so i made my own trigger gard jig and ground my own HF bolt cutters ,now my rivets look ok to me but some people like steak and i like bologna .No you are not a dick how can you be you own an AK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
eodinert said:
So, I have this AK I've been building... for about a year now. Build until I need a part, then stop. Build until I need a tool.......First, I ordered his trigger guard jig.

I decide, against my better judgment, that I would read the directions before I used the tools? let me just go to his web sight and? hmm, not there, let me look in the box again? no, well let me search the ?build it yourself? directory, no, nothing there? Oh well, I tried.

I got the package, and with great delight, opened it up. The trigger guard jig looked like shit. Not only did it look like shit, the four dimples where the rivets seat were not square, i.e., if the rivets on the left were seated in the jig, the ones on the right were ALMOST in the jig.
Youre NOT ALONE. Mine came in last week - It's a piece of shit. Just like you described. What's up with that! Why do people send out junk - do they think - "oh well, people will just have to take it"? Now I'm supposed to spend MY money and MY time returning a piece of crap he should have known better than to send out?

Maas guns - I was happy with you before but...

Edited to add, I got an email from Maas Guns, told me to send the item back for a refund which will also include the cost of return shipping. It's a good starting point. I'll keep you posted with the final result.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As for bitching about the quality of your tooling, go for it. When you pay good money for something, you should get, at least, a usable tool.

Posting in this forum is fine. Others need to know before they buy.

I have never used the Maas rivet squeezers, but have used the ones Hammer in pa makes. They work good. There is a tutorial he has made for making them under the BIY Tutorials, Tools and Supplies tacked up top.

Which rivets are you have problems with using the air hammer? If it's the rear trunion rivets, they can be a real pain to get shaped. Even when using a $250.00+ air hammer and 180 psi, I have had to finish them with a hammer and modified punch. One side will be flat, but it doesn't look too bad. The Romanian rivets seem to be much harder than the Bulgarian. The 5/32" and 3/16" US made rivets are in between.

Hope this helps and don't give up. You'll get.

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also received a low quality TG rivet jig from Maas. I figured it would be a waste to pay for return shipping... I have made it usable, but the divots are too close to the TG and the flat "bucking" bar is too narrow and won't let you squash all for rivets at once...

I made up a pair of squeezers that use a bucking bar. The trick is to make a larger bucking bar out of 1"x4"x1/4" steel. Drill divots for all three rivets on each side. That way, you can put all three rivets in on one side, put the buck over all of them, and start squeezing each one at a time. The other rivet heads help keep the buck square and in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
arashi said:
I also received a low quality TG rivet jig from Maas. I figured it would be a waste to pay for return shipping... I have made it usable, but the divots are too close to the TG and the flat "bucking" bar is too narrow and won't let you squash all for rivets at once...

I made up a pair of squeezers that use a bucking bar. The trick is to make a larger bucking bar out of 1"x4"x1/4" steel. Drill divots for all three rivets on each side. That way, you can put all three rivets in on one side, put the buck over all of them, and start squeezing each one at a time. The other rivet heads help keep the buck square and in place.
Got a photo or two you can share with us? Thanks :smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Youre NOT ALONE. Mine came in last week - It's a piece of #%[email protected]! Just like you described. What's up with that! Why do people send out junk - do they think - "oh well, people will just have to take it"?

Maas guns - I was happy with you before but please don't send out junk.

Edited to add, I got an email from Maas Guns, told me to send the item back for a refund which will also include the cost of return shipping. It's a good starting point. I'll keep you posted with the final result.

UPDATE 2-18-2006 Received full refund including cost to return ship the jig. Thank you Maas for standing behind your product.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Small Hint-- Use AKBUILDER.com tools. Great stuff and Curtis is good people. He definitely wins the Coveted Makdaddy Seal of Approval.

:reaper: :dance: :allright: :shock: :bh: :sniper: :animak:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts