AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a BIT of a budget (not really tight, though I wanna get away as cheap as I can)

I'm doing as much research as I can on them, but I have found 3 basic things I desire. Milled reciever, ability to take high cap mags, (30rds and 75rd chinese drum) and have a large following of aftermarket parts that fit it.

If anyone could lend a hand in my search please do, until then I'll keep reading this awesome forum!

Thanks!

Cameron

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
AUGH! ARFCOM! Now that thats out of my system, whats your budget? Milled rifles typically cost quite a bit more than stamped.

·
Registered
589 Posts
have a large following of aftermarket parts that fit it

Nooooooo! :shock: If you're in it for the tac crap, stick with the AR. If you have to, Tapco-fuck an SKS.

As far as milled AKs go...

SAM-7 all the way. Or...Gordon Tech SLR-100H if you can find one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard or read (will now maybe) any tangible advantage to a milled receiver and, as AKLover has pointed out, budget and milled are not happy together.
The stamped seem to do fine for millions who use them hard and if you can go stamped you can go Romanian, and that is budget.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Guys, let's remember that we want to take the high road here. He asked for help and input. Let's give it.

Cameron, a milled reciever tends to be a bit more accurate but is heavier and more expensive. What type of accecories are you looking for?

The Romanian SAR series is a good start. These are all build in a former military arsenal. They have a true milspec reciever. The SAR1, 7.62x39mm, can be found for about $400 or less. This model has the cheapest mags,has a scope rail to accept optics and the muzzle can be threaded for the correct slant break. It looks good with the correct Romanaian side folder, military vertical forends can be found cheap. The ammo is also the cheapest and easiest to find.

The Arsenal series are the next step up. The come in a variety of flavors,styles and calibers. The entry level is the 93 and 95 series. They have milled recievers and thumbhole stocks. These can be upgraded to correct stocks.

These are just a couple of options but I would recomend that you stay away from the WSAR seeries. For about the same money you can do better.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
BTW all the milled rifles will take a 30 rnd mag and a drum. The stock swap on the 93 and 95 series is not hard but you do have to watch your US parts count.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! You guys are quick! Thanks a ton! You guys seem to be much more welcoming than the AR15.com crowd :goof:

I have read milled recievers are more desired and accurate than stamped, and would also seem to be more durable...but I'm no expert as you can tell. :smile:

I am not wanting a tatical AK LOL, I am very tall and the AK stocks I have held to my shoulder at gun shows are far too short for my taste.

My thoughts are an aftermarket stock, flashhider, bipod and some optics and be done with it. Sadly (like many of you) I am never truely "done' with anything and always try out new things on everything I own.

Quote:
"The Romanian SAR series is a good start. These are all build in a former military arsenal. They have a true milspec reciever. The SAR1, 7.62x39mm, can be found for about $400 or less."

Is milspec and milled the same thing? $400 is right in my ballpark and I would have money for some mags and a few thousand rounds of ammo :D

What is the MOST confusing thing to me about all the AK lingo is all the different -Ak-74, 47, mak-90 ect. I just don't understand it :eek:

Also what is this about US parts count? Is it due to the fact the US doesn't want to support communist nations or the fact it alters the weapon in some way. /boggle

Thanks again guys, I have an AK itch now :D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How about a Yugo underfolder? The underfolder stocks are longer than the WASR stocks on the Romanian AKs. The reciever is stamped but it is 1.6mm thick instead of 1.0mm so it has the advantages of a milled with lower cost. They also have a little bit thicker barrel. All this contributes to better accuracy. The Yugo pistol grip is also alot more comfortable. They go for about $399 but I think everyone is out of stock right now.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Cameron,

Milspec means the receiver is to military specifications. In other words, it is a 100% correct receiver. The U.S. made receivers are notorious for being slightly out of spec. The WASR is a stamped receiver, not milled.

All the terminology can be confusing at first, but can easily be learned. Basically, each country that produced AK's had their own name/numbering system for weapons. Browse through the forum to read about the AK's from different countries, and you can get a feel for variations, and pick up names for some of the more common ones.

The U.S. parts count refers to a law stating that military style rifles can only have up to 10 foreign made parts. Thus, if you take one and pull off the U.S. made furniture, you would have to either replace it with U.S. made furniture, or swap out a different foreign part for a U.S. one. Yes, it is odd, but it is something we have to deal with.

*edited for spelling

·
Registered
698 Posts
Try to find yourself a Arsenal SLR101S. You'll be very happy. Milled Reciever, and pretty. WarDawg

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Cameron, the SAR rifles are stamped.

If you want to be around $400 go with a SLR95. This is a made in Bulgaria(a good thing!) milled reciever. It has the thumb hole stock. You could shoot it while saving money for the conversion. If you are taller a Nato length stock(1-1/2" longer) would help. If you use a US stock, pg, a US FCG and gas piston you would have your parts count. Those parts should cost less than $100.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Fireman said:
Cameron, the SAR rifles are stamped.

If you want to be around $400 go with a SLR95. This is a made in Bulgaria(a good thing!) milled reciever. It has the thumb hole stock.

I picked up a LNIB SA-93 for $425. Look around, the deals are out there.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I've never seen a bipod, but Kvar sales NATO length stocks and, if you get a rifle with a side mount, you could slap a Kobra reflex on or a PSOP scope

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you want to be around $400 go with a SLR95. This is a made in Bulgaria(a good thing!) milled reciever. It has the thumb hole stock. You could shoot it while saving money for the conversion. If you are taller a Nato length stock(1-1/2" longer) would help. If you use a US stock, pg, a US FCG and gas piston you would have your parts count. Those parts should cost less than $100.
Bingo.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Xenogy said:
How about a Yugo underfolder? The underfolder stocks are longer than the WASR stocks on the Romanian AKs. The reciever is stamped but it is 1.6mm thick instead of 1.0mm so it has the advantages of a milled with lower cost. They also have a little bit thicker barrel. All this contributes to better accuracy. The Yugo pistol grip is also alot more comfortable. They go for about $399 but I think everyone is out of stock right now.

I must agree..... I don't see how a milled one could be any better Yugo
I've been looking for over two months for a good Yogo fixed stock...Finally
found one yesterday

1 - 17 of 17 Posts