AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is my first post so please dont go all crazy if i dont understand something.
Im not new to rifles/guns just new to the AK design.
I just picked up a used GP WASR 10 and in all honesty need help understanding what parts i can purchase that will fit it since there are so many variants.
It is labeled made by ROMARM SA/CUGIR In Romania.
Im just trying to replace certain parts that have probably seen their day.
Im looking for a barrel, dust cover and really anything else. I wanna bring this AK back to its former glory.
Thanks for any and all help if you can. 20150721_162958.jpg

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
This should go in the Romanian section (WASR is a Romanian rifle). You'd get more responses there. Just saying

Before you go replacing stuff let me ask....why? Bent? Broken? Rusted? Drilled?

What's wrong with the barrel and dust cover? From the picture the dust cover looks fine.

You can replace the dust cover with just about any other dust cover from a stamped 1mm receiver. Some may be a bit longer or shorter but as long as it fits and locks in place.

Barrels arnt easy to come by if you want an original hammer forged chrome lined. There is a barrel ban on imported parts so you can't just buy one. What was once imported has dried up and the cost have gone up. Original Romanian CHF barrels used to be $50 now about $300. If CHF doesn't matter to you Green Mountain and others make barrels for stamped receiver AKs.

Any furniture for a stamped 1mm receiver will work

Most parts available are still surplus. Some are NOS surplus but still surplus. They came off of what we're once rifles that were deactivated and sold here as parts kits. Some of those rifles sat in storage all their lives, some were used
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
From the pic it looks like all that really needs changed is the buttstock and upper and lower handguards if your going for the original wood furniture look. If the other parts (barrel,BCG, topcover,etc.) are numbered to that rifle you won't be doing yourself any favors by replacing them unless truly damaged in some way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

This should go in the Romanian section (WASR is a Romanian rifle). You'd get more responses there. Just saying

Before you go replacing stuff let me ask....why? Bent? Broken? Rusted? Drilled?

What's wrong with the barrel and dust cover? From the picture the dust cover looks fine.
Thanks, well the forward side of dust cover seems pretty loose and rattly as i said i'm not a AK guy so i'm not sure if this is normal.
And the barrel has a weld under a nut on the very front, not sure why and what for. And yea this stock is crap. that is only thing i figured out my self so far is that the previous owner didn't fully fit/shave it right before he drilled it.
Also is technical/difficullt to reseat some wooden furniture?
The dust cover and receiver have matching serials, i don't know where the barrel numbers are, probly have to disassemble to find them i assume?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
The dust covers are usually a little loose. You can try a different one if you feel it's too loose.

The weld is for import laws. Threaded barrels are a no no when importing since they don't meet a "sporting" purpose. The barrel nut is a common thread protector. Welding it makes it permanent and thus not threaded. Knock that weld of and unscrew the nut and you can use any AK muzzle break or flash hider

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Welcome to the group, and the addictive world of the Avtomat Kalashnikova.

The WASR series uses a standard size European AKM receiver, so any European wood will work. Note that many times wood will be made slightly oversized so it is not unusual to have to do a little fitting to install the stock and/ or handguards.

As stated above, the muzzle nut had to be welded to the rifle thanks to George Bush the First and his fear that features of a weapon would make an honest person a vicious baby killer. Many WASRs had threads under that nut, but many did not. If you do dremel the weld off, the muzzle threads are left hand so it will unscrew "the wrong way".

Unless the barrel is damaged, a WASR barrel was military spec so on a semi-auto only rifle should last a lifetime unless you flat out abuse it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Arik, i suppose i'll just deal with the little rattle since its not affecting performance at all.
And it is legal to have a threaded barrel on an AK right? The AR15s i've owned all had them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you as well Indy ive only owned AR's previously but i already love my AK. Just went out and dumped a 75 round drum and some 30's. My drum definitely has feeding issues however, I only made it 20-25 before a bullet lodged in the drum exit. Oh and these tapco 30 rounders are crap in my opinion unless something needs to be modified, they fit just fine but it is insanely tough for a bullet to be extracted from the mag.
The rifling and barrel itself internally is perfect, guess i'm just wanting a nicer finish on it, ill just spend some time thoroughly cleaning it. And thanks for the furniture tip. I woodwork in spare time so it should be a breeze.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Yes it is absolutely legal to have threads on your barrel. There is just this dumb sporting clause for imports that basically says if it looks like military then it has no sport value and can't be imported. Threaded barrels, pistol grips, high capacity. .etc..etc...are all military features. The only way it's possible to have a military looking rifle is if it's made here. This is what's called the 922r law. If you've never heard of it it may sound a little confusing at first. It basically says that a imported rifle to be aloud to look like a military rifle it must have enough US made parts to be considered a US made rifle. For AKs those parts are....
Barrel (1)
Receiver (1)
Piston (1)
Butt stock (1)
Pistol grip (1)
Handguards (1)
FCG - hammer, disconnector, trigger (3)
Mag - body, follower, floor plate (3)
Muzzle device (1)

For an AK there are 16 parts that are considered out of which you need 10 or less to be foreign and a minimum of 6 or more to be US made. You cant just change any part you want. For instance you cannot add a US dust cover, it doesn't count. Out of the 16 you can change any and all in any way you want as long as its a minimum of 6. People prefer to keep as much of it original as possible especially the barrel and receiver along with surplus mags so the most common changed parts are...
-furniture - pistol grip, buttstock and handguards (3)
-Piston (1)
-muzzle device (1)
-FCG (3)

That is already more than 6 but if you wanted to keep the original handguards you'd have to swap something else. Maybe the floor plate on the mag, for example. here is a checklist you can use
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
If you uncheck things it will show you if you're compliant.

That being said the 922r compliance law is a bit of a touchy topic among owners of foreign made rifles (btw this includes FALs and G3, HK, Galil...not just AK). First is the fact that no one has ever been prosecuted under this law. And second its vaguely worded. You can read it to mean that anyone changing parts has to follow this law or that only the 1st person doing the conversion has to follow this law. The importers do follow it and your WASR does have US made parts.

There are 2 ways to import them. 1st as a sporting rifle but with a double stack magwell. Think mini14 look. The second as a military looking rifle but with a single stack magwell accompanied by a single stack 10 round mag. This is how your WASR was imported. Upon arrival the importer mills out the magwell to accept a regular double stack AK mag and adds 922r compliance parts. So YOUR WASR has a US FCG (3), US mag (3). That's your 6 parts right there. Later on they changed out a few things. They would later add a US muzzle device (1), Piston (1), FCG (3) and a US mag (3).

Yes Tapco, also know as Crapco, sucks. Their mags are ok for range if they work for you but I wouldn't rely on them. Whos drum is it? Country of origin? May just need some cleaning.

BTW you can change the dust cover but until you get it you wont know if it will fit tighter or be more loose!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Thank you as well Indy ive only owned AR's previously but i already love my AK. Just went out and dumped a 75 round drum and some 30's. My drum definitely has feeding issues however, I only made it 20-25 before a bullet lodged in the drum exit. Oh and these tapco 30 rounders are crap in my opinion unless something needs to be modified, they fit just fine but it is insanely tough for a bullet to be extracted from the mag.
The rifling and barrel itself internally is perfect, guess i'm just wanting a nicer finish on it, ill just spend some time thoroughly cleaning it. And thanks for the furniture tip. I woodwork in spare time so it should be a breeze.
The barrel finish is mil-spec, and Romanian mil-spec to be specific, which I think specifies ugly finish. No reason you couldn't refinish a WASR as it is not really a collectible like a Norinco or Poly Tech where refinishing would kill the collector value of those now blocked from importation rifles.

If it was a rear loading Chinese drum, sometimes not winding it enough will cause feed issues when the spring loses tension. If a top loading drum I wouldn't know what to do. You can remove the back and check for dirt, but be careful not to mess with the mechanism.

I have stayed with standard military issue AK mags all my years of AK-addiction. All 7.62x39 military issue mags with the possible exception of Korean which might not be mil-issue, are very reliable. In fact, I was given a batch of rusted mags that after cleaning and some dremel work on the insides near the top, proved to be just as reliable as new, except much cheaper. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is absolutely legal to have threads on your barrel. There is just this dumb sporting clause for imports that basically says if it looks like military then it has no sport value and can't be imported. Threaded barrels, pistol grips, high capacity. .etc..etc...are all military features. The only way it's possible to have a military looking rifle is if it's made here. This is what's called the 922r law. If you've never heard of it it may sound a little confusing at first. It basically says that a imported rifle to be aloud to look like a military rifle it must have enough US made parts to be considered a US made rifle. For AKs those parts are....
Barrel (1)
Receiver (1)
Piston (1)
Butt stock (1)
Pistol grip (1)
Handguards (1)
FCG - hammer, disconnector, trigger (3)
Mag - body, follower, floor plate (3)
Muzzle device (1)

For an AK there are 16 parts that are considered out of which you need 10 or less to be foreign and a minimum of 6 or more to be US made. You cant just change any part you want. For instance you cannot add a US dust cover, it doesn't count. Out of the 16 you can change any and all in any way you want as long as its a minimum of 6. People prefer to keep as much of it original as possible especially the barrel and receiver along with surplus mags so the most common changed parts are...
Thanks Arik. By the way i live in Las Vegas. Here in Nevada they are very lenient with firearms. We don't even have to register our firearms anymore. Handguns, rifles etc are all legal to trade amongst ourselves without having paperwork, just bills of sale for our own personal records. I had two cops walk up on me while i was trading an AR pistol for this AK, all they asked was is it automatic, i said no and that was the end of the discussion.
And yes i believe the drum is chinese since there are no markings on it. It is clean but for some reason after a few rounds one will get jammed up in the feed ramp and push the bullet into the casing a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you as well again Indy. The only magazine that works 100% for me is the steel mag.
And i dont know why but i cant seem to find wooden furniture anywhere on the internet its like noone is selling any.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Thanks Arik. By the way i live in Las Vegas. Here in Nevada they are very lenient with firearms. We don't even have to register our firearms anymore. Handguns, rifles etc are all legal to trade amongst ourselves without having paperwork, just bills of sale for our own personal records. I had two cops walk up on me while i was trading an AR pistol for this AK, all they asked was is it automatic, i said no and that was the end of the discussion.
And yes i believe the drum is chinese since there are no markings on it. It is clean but for some reason after a few rounds one will get jammed up in the feed ramp and push the bullet into the casing a bit.
We never had firearms registration in Pa but that's besides the point. 922 is not a state or local law. It's a federal law. Like I said I never heard of anyone being prosecuted under it but it is a law so there is a first time for everything

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try to find a Romanian drum if you can I have never had an issue with one ever.
I stay with the mil surp 30 and 40 round mags.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The very rear edge of your dust cover can be bent slightly outwards with a cresent wrench to tighten the dust cover, it will push it forward just a little. The cresent wrench should be closed down to slide onto the little edge and pulled away from the cover gently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts