AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a rifle off of a fellow member and it will be sent to the only
dealer I know of around here. The dealer told me that since I am getting it from a non ffl holder he has to charge me Illinois sales tax. I know he can charge me sales tax on the transfer fee but not the rifle correct? where can I find info to print out and show him? He did say he doesn't
do very many transfers and is not 100% sure but he would look it up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
he cannot charge you sales tax for a out of state purchase. the tax is paid in the other state. the only tax he could charge you is only on the transfer. most people do not charge tax on a transfer fee.

that is the whole bonus of buying out of state skipping the sales tax.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found another dealer and called and was told that since it was not from another dealer it would be considered as it was a retail item (meaning I would have to pay tax). He also said it is technically illegal for an individual
ship a gun even if it is to a ffl, only ffl to ffl is legal. :roll:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
odd1 said:
I found another dealer and called and was told that since it was not from another dealer it would be considered as it was a retail item (meaning I would have to pay tax). He also said it is technically illegal for an individual
at that point you need to ask him to produce a government regulation, in writing, that backs up both claims.

because both are bullshit.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
What a great deal you got. A rifle for $1!

Tell him, "Tax that, Bitch!"

BTW, it's a scam for him to make more money. Tell him you talked to the states Attorney General's office and they call Bullshit!

·
Registered
307 Posts
odd1 said:
The Federal Law per the BATF (see FAQ's on the BATF.gov website) allows transfers from out of state non FFL holders to FFL holders in another state. If an FFL holder in the receiving state is trying to collect additional taxes on the total overall sales I would certainly question the practice and ask for a copy of the state law they seem to be so familar with. Legally the FFL holder can add state sales tax to a transfer fee however, I have not heard of anyone having to pay this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts