AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I posted this in the DDR section a week or so ago, but I don't think I'm going to get any help there.

I'm trying to locate an EG type A bolt carrier and type A rounded mag catch. I'd also love to find a Soviet type B top cover and a type A cleaning rod (DDR or Soviet) if they're out there.

I'll be using this stuff to complete my 1982 Soviet AKS-74 project. I'm not sure where to look for this stuff. I talked to Tantal (my usual source) and he doesn't have any of these parts in stock. Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks. :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Try K-VAR for the carrier and aa-ok for the mag-catch. Can't help you with the cover or rod as I'm looking for a Soviet type-A cover myself (and selector and hg retainer :sad: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
You might try JOKEN sometimes he has some russian stuff in..

Good luck with your search...that is the fun part...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Soviet parts (except wood) are impossible to find. I wouldn't waste time worrying too much about them.

For an 82, you'll want a Type C 'lazy' cover. The bulgarian unnumbered ones from K-Var make nice clones. Get a Bulgarian cleaning rod as well. They are fairly close to the Soviet design. The K-Var EG 74 top cover would work for a type B clone.

The AA-OK stamped AK74 mag catches appear to be East German or possibly Polish, and the milled are not AKM. Pick up a Romanian AKM trigger guard w/ mag catch instead.

I would personally stay away from JoeKen. I bought a Russian AKM rear sight that I didn't see for a month. I'm fairly certain I got a bulgarian instead...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
brownstown said:
You might try JOKEN sometimes he has some russian stuff in..

Good luck with your search...that is the fun part...

:lol: :lol:

just in case you didnt know, that was sarcasm. but fo real, dont buy from joeken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Omega Weapons Supply down in Tucson has a large supply of E.G. and Rusky parts. Look him up on the web, I'm sure he could hook you up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
catsailer40 said:
brownstown said:
You might try JOKEN sometimes he has some russian stuff in..

Good luck with your search...that is the fun part...

:lol: :lol:

just in case you didnt know, that was sarcasm. but fo real, dont buy from joeken.
I know some members here have had trouble/problems with JOEKEN..I have done a few orders from them and have always got what I needed..I might be the lucky one though..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
brownstown said:
catsailer40 said:
brownstown said:
You might try JOKEN sometimes he has some russian stuff in..

Good luck with your search...that is the fun part...

:lol: :lol:

just in case you didnt know, that was sarcasm. but fo real, dont buy from joeken.
I know some members here have had trouble/problems with JOEKEN..I have done a few orders from them and have always got what I needed..I might be the lucky one though..
yeah, you and the locals apparently. they catch him at a gun show and get what they want is what i hear. i wouldnt order anything from him though, im not big on gambling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,965 Posts
catsailer40 said:
brownstown said:
catsailer40 said:
brownstown said:
You might try JOKEN sometimes he has some russian stuff in..

Good luck with your search...that is the fun part...

:lol: :lol:

just in case you didnt know, that was sarcasm. but fo real, dont buy from joeken.
I know some members here have had trouble/problems with JOEKEN..I have done a few orders from them and have always got what I needed..I might be the lucky one though..
yeah, you and the locals apparently. they catch him at a gun show and get what they want is what i hear. i wouldnt order anything from him though, im not big on gambling.
+1 don't buy unless you see it from them

It took over a month for me to just get a pistol grip. I had all but given up because they never responded to my emails, and then it just showed up one day. That was the last time I order anything online from them. I don't care how nice/rare it is, I can't take the chance to lose $$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate the help, guys. However, I was looking over the latest AK-74 variation guide, version XVI, over at Tantal's site, and now I'm thinking it would be easier to switch things around with my project a bit.

If I do a 1983 build, instead of 1982, things all of a sudden get a LOT simpler: I can use the type B mag catch that's in my Bulgy kit, the type C "lazy" top cover, and even the type B carrier I've already got. I can also use the two-piece muzzle brake I have instead of a zig-zag brake. All of these items were in use, and are therefore "correct," by 1983. Also, the hard to find non-vented handguards weren't introduced until mid-late 1983, so I can just use the standard, and easier to find, vented 74 HGs. This makes everything simpler and cheaper...though I confess that I really like the look of the earlier 74s with type A carriers and zig-zag brakes.

What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
If you stuck with an 82, the only items you would need would be a bolt carrier, a zig zag brake, and a Romy AKM trigger guard. K-Var has the carrier, Copes has some EG zig-zags, and Romy TGs are pretty easy to come by. Probably less than $125 altogether.

Seriously, do what makes you happy. I am working on an '82 clone myself even though an '83 would be cheaper. My kit did come with a zig zag brake though... :grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RyanE said:
If you stuck with an 82, the only items you would need would be a bolt carrier, a zig zag brake, and a Romy AKM trigger guard. K-Var has the carrier, Copes has some EG zig-zags, and Romy TGs are pretty easy to come by. Probably less than $125 altogether.
That was what I figured I'd need, too. An 82' build also calls for a type A cleaning rod, but, as others have said, those are about impossible to find.

The only thing that I'm not 100% sure about is the top cover: Tantal says a "lazy" type C cover is right for an 82' build, but it seems like I've seen several 82s with type B covers. Go to the Bulgy/DDR/Soviet comparison tacked at the top of this section. I think the 82' Soviet AKS-74 has one of the type B covers. Maybe the type B covers that I've seen from this era were replacements, don't know.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top