AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some advice about keeping moisture out of my lines. Houston is a very humid place and my blasting media keeps clumping pretty bad. I have an Ingersol Rand moisture separator that my father bought on the compressor now but I'm not impressed. It doesn't seem to do all that much, very little moisture is collected in the "bowl". I can tell my media is getting wet because it clumps and then the gun kind of surges in my hand. It does this at 150 PSI and 18CFM. It is annoying but I could live with it if I had to. The real problem is that I am also wanting to start spraying paints and Gunkote as well. One previous post I read mentioned that a long run of copper that goes from floor to ceiling with a trap at the bottom might work. So if I understand correctly, the hot moist compressed air comes out of the compressor, expands and cools in the copper line, the water condenses out, runs down the line and collects in the trap right? Same general idea as an AC unit or a refrigerator, thermodynamics and all that right? At least that is how I understand it to work, I hope I am not wrong.

So here is where I need the advice. Money is tight right now so I can't really justify buying much of anything BUT I have a friend who will give me as much 3/4 or 7/8 copper tubing as I need for next to nothing. If I were to construct some sort of looping run or a coil with a trap at the bottom, how well would this work to collect moisture out of my lines? Would I just end up wasting a lot of time and copper? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Moisture really sucks. :sad: Media that is wet will take forever to get dry and is a total pain to deal with.

Take a look at this for moisture concerns. Steel piping a safer way to go.
http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airli ... iagram.pdf

One shop that I use has all Stainless Steel hard lines and short drops for connections. The other shop has hot dipped hard lines.

Here is an interesting product I have been thinking about for some time.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=40211

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tango! That diagram was super helpful, gave me some really good ideas. The refrigerator unit looks really cool, let me know how it works out if you do get one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts