AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a military vehicle show last weekend and came home with this:

It has been one of my "Holy Grails" of grenade collecting for many years and am thrilled to get one, or at least half of one. So has anyone seen an RGO or RGN fuze anywhere out there? Even a nicely made reproduction would suffice until a real one can be found. I understand these fuzes have some internal components that are molded-in during manufacture and are fairly difficult to inert. Any leads would be welcomed. Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Good luck! With other Soviet fuses you can "pop" them and call 'em good. On some you can even unscrew the dets. Not these. Plus they're mainly plastic, and what metal there is rusts real easily. I got to a point where I didn't even mess with them anymore.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Can't see the pic, but i'm assuming it's of an RGO or an RGN grenade. I found some mint examples last time I was here. Damn I wanted one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, it never occured to me the photo might not come up for some. The grenade body is the current Russian frag, the RGO. There is a companion offensive version which is smooth on both halves called the RGN. They are very rare in the U.S. but are seemingly more scarce than they should be. They have been around since the 1980s and have been sold to other countries, so it's not like they are some sort of secret technology. I guess they just haven't been widely distributed to parts of the world where our troops have been. I'm aware of examples in European grenade collections that came from East Germany after they dissolved but I missed out at the time and have been looking for one for over 20 years.

Both use the same ribbed white plastic fuze that is a combined impact and delay type. I understand the fuzes have explosive parts that are molded or glued in place at assembly making them difficult to inert. And when they function, the fuze body is destroyed. So it's not as easy as picking up a fired fuze like you would with an F-1 grenade.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Fuzes for F1s are destroyed when the grenade functions, too... but if you remove them from the grenade, and throw them in a bucket of water, it works out a little better :)

I've never encountered one of those in the wild, or I would offer some insight.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Fuzes for F1s are destroyed when the grenade functions, too
I've seen a couple that were unusable after use, but normally if I find one I want to save, I unscrew the det if it's one that will unscrew, or if it won't, I'll tie it to a stake, and using a long string, pop it from cover. I've yet to have one have damage to it that would keep me from putting it into a collection. Now if we're talking about the fuse still being in the grenade, then yes, I agree.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have about 60 that were blown leaving the "head" intact so they could be used as displays.

That is one sweet grenade my friend!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I wasn't too clear in my comments on fuzes. I didn't mean to suggest they could be salvaged after the grenade itself functioned, but after firing one on a stake or in a bucket. The problem with the RGO/RGN fuzes, I understand, is their body self destructs without the grenade present, so there's not much left to salvage after pulling the pin like with an F1 fuze.

By the way, it took me a few days to check this out due to my pitifully slow dial up connection, but the third poster down in the Russian Printable Poster thread below that ptica graciously posted, has the best internal views of the RGO/RGN fuze I've seen yet. It shows the impact and time delay override parts very clearly-----just wish I could read Russian to understand it better. Here's a reduced size version for the rest of you guys with slow connections. Great posters and well worth saving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts