AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reliable dusk to dawn light for the back of my house. I say reliable because the lights Home Depot and Lowes sell are made in China crap. I've had several over the years that burn bulbs out quickly, or work for a few months then die for no reason.

The latest is a CFL light I bought from HD on Tuesday night. I installed it yesterday. It came on at dusk last night, a nice bright cool light. A couple hours later the light began flickering, and flashing. I turned it off, then back on. All was normal until it started acting up again. So today it goes back to HD.

Where can I get a light that will last for years with reliable bulbs? Be it CFL, HP sodium, whatever. I went with the CFL figuring it's cheaper to run, and the bulbs will last for years. Not so...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm looking for a reliable dusk to dawn light for the back of my house. I say reliable because the lights Home Depot and Lowes sell are made in China crap. I've had several over the years that burn bulbs out quickly, or work for a few months then die for no reason.

The latest is a CFL light I bought from HD on Tuesday night. I installed it yesterday. It came on at dusk last night, a nice bright cool light. A couple hours later the light began flickering, and flashing. I turned it off, then back on. All was normal until it started acting up again. So today it goes back to HD.

Where can I get a light that will last for years with reliable bulbs? Be it CFL, HP sodium, whatever. I went with the CFL figuring it's cheaper to run, and the bulbs will last for years. Not so...
I bought one from Menards that comes on at dark for a period of time at 50% power then goes out. Then comes on 100% with motion detect event and then drops to 1/2 power for 20 minutes after motion event then goes out until next motion/heat detect event and the timed cycle starts again. It takes two regular floodlights/spotlights but won't work with CFL's due to dimming feature. It has been up working fine for 3 yrs now with the same bulbs and it gets triggered at a minimum several times every night when I let the dogs out.

If you are looking for a always on dusk to dawn light I'd look at a spotlight fixture and check out some LED bulbs, they last a long time and are the cheapest to run and savings would add up quick on a light left on all night every night....Some CFLS and LED's are NOT outdoor rated and some CFL's are not inverted mount rated...so be careful selecting proper bulbs for whatever fixture you buy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts