AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC00543.JPG

Years ago when I was a kid my grandfather gave me an all matching German P-08 Luger that he got from a friend who took it from a dead Luftwaffe officer, it was brought back with a P38 holster. I've looked it over many times again and again hoping I'd find something new that I somehow missed before, and today I did. I opened the safe and out of a whim pulled it out looking to see if there was a number etched in the flap, as I had seen one on the internet like that just last night. As i was rotating the holster around something fell out into my hand. I sat down and carefully unwrapped it to discover it was a stiffer material that contained floral designs. Now it has me wondering, was it something as simple as a table cloth that was cut to clean the weapon, or was it peice of a dress from a young lady who gave it to the officer who she would never see again? Regardless, its neat to know that it was stuffed down there for the last 65+ years, just to be found again now. I love how things like this can give you a sense of connection to the past.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
NICE!!!

I have my grandfather's P08 bring-back from an officer he plugged in the Hurtigen Forrest... 1940 Mfg, "42" code (Mauser), in 95-98% condition. Complete rig with both matching mags. Best part = Inside the holster flap, written in grease pencil, is the name "Bauer" - in the dead officer's own hand. Actually has the name of the guy it was issued to. As beautiful as the piece is, I still think that knowing who the pistol was issued to is the neatest part...

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines a 42 coded 1940 as well! Ill upload a pic when I get home, one the side of a part mine has a faint "CW" or "GW" scratched in it. Only came with one mismatched mag, but considering everything that happened and the length of the war, not surprising that the original mag was probably lost somewhere and rusted out long ago.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
DSC00548.JPG
Got the order mixed up. Its a W then either a C or G. Little to faint to tell for sure, you can see it though just below where the safety comes up and down. Mine is serial number 5393 with no letter suffix, so I believe it was the first batch made in 1940.

DSC00549.JPG
The P-08 and the P-38 together.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I believe mine's an "i" block... I'd go get it and post some pics, but I had double knee surgery yesterday - so my mobility is a bit limited at the moment (to say the least)!!! Next time I gotta get up to use the head and change my ice bags, I'll try yo grab it and post some pics.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Best part of any surplus is the unintended findings. I bought a soviet officers cap when surplus was first coming in. Stuffed inside of it was an East German news paper from the 1970's.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Years ago my friend showed me a Belgian Browning Hi Power with nazi proof marks. His dad got it from a friend who was over there & took it off a dead German. Many people asked where the holster was, & his reply was he quickly grabbed the gun, but didn't have the time to undo the belt to slide the holster off it. Makes me wonder how many 1911's are over there owned by grandchildren of German soldiers.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found one of those hi-powers at a local pawn shop, all matching and everything, talked my buddy into buying it since it was a cool peice of history, so he does. Week later he flipped it and made a few hundred dollars. I wish I was able to get it from him.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got a P-38 from my grandfather it is kind of weird the gun is a AC43 serial#2723F but both mags are #7723. He brought it back in his 1944 Walsh US 1911 holster. He brought back the P-38, a dress bayo, a pair of tank commander binocluars, a foldingspoon/fork he got it all from the same dead soldier. His sherman tank disabled a greman tank and when the greman crew tried to get out and run the .50 cal stop them and these were the only war trophys he brought back execpt at the end of the fighting after berlin fell he took the last round that was chambered in his .50 cal and brought it back too.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
My first P-38 was given to me by my late Grandfather for Christmas is 94. It has both magazines, and did have a shoulder holster at one time, but nobody knows where it is now.

Cool story on the find, but I'll bet that if you leave the piece of cloth out, then put the Luger back in, it will fit loose and flop around a bit. The Soldier who had this weapon probably just grabbed any holster that would fit his pistol.

·
Banned
950 Posts
My grandfather was in the South Pacific. He brought back a couple of Japanese rifles and had a new Colt 1911. Well when they ended up in San Fran on the way home, the officers ordered everyone to dump their "trophies" overboard or get a dishonorable discharge. So overboard they went, new 1911's, Thompson's, Swords, everything- laying in the bottom of the bay.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Similar story with my Dad. Coming home from Germany in WW2, as the rounded the Statue of Liberty, they were allowed 1 war trophy, but he had 2 German pistols that had wooden buttstocks. He asked around if someone wanted to buy the second gun, as he was going to dump it overboard. Someone came up with $12, so my Dad sold it. No background check. LOL. GARY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts