AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine passed a while back and left me a few items from his collection, one being a ndm-86 7.62x51 308 cal. The rifle looks like it was never fired. All the serial number match and it looks in really good shape. The problem ( really big problem ) I have is there was no bolt in the bolt carrier. After searching high and low with no luck I'm begining to belive the person on this site called it a "chickens tooth" or something like that. Soooooo here are my options as I see them and the other problems I have and would appreciate any input from the well versed members here. The easiest would be to sell it although I would rather get it working. That being said what would it be worth without the bolt? The other option is to have a machinist make one and so the other problem raises its head. I would need a bolt for him to copy or a C.A.D. program if one even exist. So I'm in the market for a damaged bolt, maybe one that had the firing pin pierced the primer and damaged the bolt or any damage as long as I could copy it. Maybe someone has one and knows a machinest and could have one made and I could buy it from you? The other question I have is if the SVD Dragunov bolt would work in the Norinco rifle? I've read a few differant thing and am still not sure if they are interchangeable. If they are that would at least give me a second option although they are probable just as scarus.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A Russian 7.62x54r bolt would fit in your rifle but of course the 7.62 NATO bolt face is totally different since the case heads have such dramatically different dimensions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply WolfmanReid. I thought that the SVD also came in a 7.62x51. If that is the case would that bolt fit and have closer dimension to the NDM-86?

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Russians do make a .308 Tigr but it was never imported to the USA. I’ve tried to find loose bolts in Europe but since they are a controlled item there they seem to be really hard/impossible to come by. From the photos I’ve seen the Russian .308 bolts look rather different than the .308 and 54r Chinese ones as well as the 54r Russian ones so I don’t know they would work anyway.

CDNN damaged a lot of bolts when they were converting the firing pin to be spring loaded so there seem to be quite a number of .308 NDMs floating around with no bolts unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've been looking for awhile now. I sure would like to get my hands on one of those damaged bolts so I could have my machinist copy it...I would be willing to pay up for it!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hang onto it. There may be Hungarian or US parts available in the next two years... Send PRDUBI a private message on the subject.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jjjxlr8. Yes I'll probably just keep looking for a bolt, besides it looks good hanging on the wall next to my other AKs. I hope your right on the parts availability. I'll try to PM PRDUBI if I can figure it out. I'm new to this site and in a quick glance around I don't see how to do that!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Welcome! Just go to the SVD Dragunov section and you'll see a long thread regarding the FEG HD-18 Hungarian rifles. PRDUBI is the one responsible for getting the Hungarian sporting version approved fro import and there are plans to bring them in different calibers, one o which should be .308. The parts will likely be interchangeable or at least useable as a starting point for you. Finding a good Chinese .308 bolt replacement is going to be very very difficult.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Because PRDUBI said so yesterday on the thread about the FEG rifles.

From PRDUBI
“Other calibers..no...

Due to sabotage..we have to put the other calibers to rest until we can retool for it.”

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so I see that the FEG HD-18 is a Hungary made SVD Dragunov. I'm glad to see that PRDUBIs hard work has paid off, thank you Sir! I'll keep my hopes up that someday they will retool and start importing the 308 version of the HD-18 and hopefully the bolts will be interchangeable with the NDM-86. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for a NDM-86 308 bolt or one to copy off of. Although I must say, giving that it doesn't shoot it sure looks nice on the wall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts