AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am very confused! I understand about the M64, M70, M76, M77, etc. But what the heck is with all of these x-PAP, whatevers? What do they apply to? What does the "PAP" designation mean? Is this just a U.S. thing only?

What does it all mean?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, gonogo.

So, my new M70AB2 is not marked anywhere as any variety of "PAP". The receiver is stamped with a Century rollmark, which included the model designation and serial number. The only other markings that I've found have been some various serial numbers (non-matching) on other parts, and the "ZASTAVA - KRAGUGJEVAC / YUGOSLAVIA" rollmark on the left side of the rear sight basse. What's the story with this rifle? Was this rifle completely assembled at the Zastava plant in Yugoslavia and imported by Century, or was it assembled by Century from a parts kit (which is what I think is likely)? Is this a U.S.-made receiver?

(If this is a parts kit assembled by Century on a U.S. receiver, then this ain't your father's Century Arms anymore. I've never seen work this good from Century before!)

If the Century parts kit scenario is true, I suppose that the 922r compliance is all taken care of already. However, the only thing I've seen so far with a U.S. mark or a compliance "C" mark is the Tapco G2 trigger group and the black plastic pistol grip. The black plastic handguards are unmarked, as far as I can tell, but as I've never seen photos of an M70 in Yugoslavia or Serbia with black plastic furniture then I bet these are compliance parts also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is also the N-Pap "DF" (down folder) that has been revered as pretty awesome by those of us who own them.

There were only about 8K O-paps imported, and they are fantastic. The new 1.5mm Z-Pap is virtually the same shy of CL barrel and US furniture... also awesome! The N-Pap full stocks are really the only variety of "paps" that had any issues, and that was more of a Century thing than anything else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, I am very confused! I understand about the M64, M70, M76, M77, etc. But what the heck is with all of these x-PAP, whatevers? What do they apply to? What does the "PAP" designation mean? Is this just a U.S. thing only?

What does it all mean?
It means: Polu Automatska Puška or/and Polu Automatski Pištolj,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is your receiver marked DCI by the magwell?
Left side just above the trigger guard, as part of the Century roll mark, it includes D C Industries.

Is that good or bad?

Edit to add: Bore is uniformly dark in color, but clean and no pitting, so I suppose that this is a new . U.S. barrel. After a brief Google expedition I learned that D C Industries is Dan Coonan.......which makes me feel better.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Left side just above the trigger guard, as part of the Century roll mark, it includes D C Industries.

Is that good or bad?

Edit to add: Bore is uniformly dark in color, but clean and no pitting, so I suppose that this is a new . U.S. barrel. After a brief Google expedition I learned that D C Industries is Dan Coonan.......which makes me feel better.
Good. Reinforces that it's one of the good rifles from Century. There have been rumors that some had original barrels, but I haven't seen any proof to confirm or deny that. I would agree that a clean dark barrel indicates a nitrided US barrel. Which is fine.

·
Registered
In the forest at end of a long dirt road in Ga
489 Posts
Speaking of Dan Coonan and DC Industries, now Nodak Spud..

NDS has been absorbed by the same Palmetto State Armory bosses.

Sad, more corporate America takeover of our hobby, I’m not a fan.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Speaking of Dan Coonan and DC Industries, now Nodak Spud..

NDS has been absorbed by the same Palmetto State Armory bosses.

Sad, more corporate America takeover of our hobby, I’m not a fan.
PSA has done a pretty good job with AR's, but their venture in the AK world does seem to have been mixed. If PSA just lets Nodak Spud go on as usual... Well, we can hope right? Unfortunately we know that's not how it usually goes.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
PAP has been the commercial-imported designation for the Zastava AK rifles and pistols since a divided Yugoslavia.

Zpap M70 is currently imported by has thick receiver, RPK trunnion, M70 CL barrel, commercial barrel components, commercial polymer or wood furniture and is fixed stock only.
Good info there gonogo. I might add that the current Zpap 70 is also available as a side folder and parts are available thru Zastava Arms USA to convert that gun to a fixed stock if desired. Or a fixed to folder for that matter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So what about the "PAP M92PV"? I've read that it is the thinner receiver and import marks are CAI. I have had one for eight years now and have literally had a blast with it (insert Muzzle Fireball joke). How have the PAPs been regarded??

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
So what about the "PAP M92PV"? I've read that it is the thinner receiver and import marks are CAI. I have had one for eight years now and have literally had a blast with it (insert Muzzle Fireball joke). How have the PAPs been regarded??
The M92PVs were an AKM-standard 1.0mm receiver. They're only "thinner" compared to what most Yugo-produced AKs have used.

The biggest issue was that they were imported with trigger/hammer pins that were intended for 1.5mm receivers. There were rare reports that this led to axis pin holes being egged out because the "paperclip" retention method for the pins allowed some side-to-side movement. Although there are a lot of people who repeat this "internet knowledge", to my knowledge this hasn't actually been an issue reported widely by people it has actually happened to.

There was one poster on AKFiles who was from Serbia and supposedly had some personal knowledge of the workings at Zastava who claimed there were heat treatment issues with the M92PVs produced for Century.

Again, there isn't a large body of postings on the internet by people who have actually had problems with M92PVs, but there are a lot of people repeating things they've read.

Bottom line: they're perfectly good, and if the 1.5mm pins make you nervous, a set of standard Polish AKM axis pins is pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I remember right, back in 2013 when I bought my first AK, a WASR, the OPAPs were on the market and were made from surplus parts like WASR 10/63. Shortly after that the OPAPs were replaced with NPAPs. Then when Zastava created Zastava USA it became the ZPAP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts