AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my first NFA item, I assumed I would always let my FFL/SOT dealer do the forms and paperwork for me. When I realized how simple it appears to be to do; I figured that I would do all the form work from now on and save the money.
When I bought my first NFA item(a .22 silencer), my dealer gave me 2 filled out form 4's, the trust (with instructions to get it notarized), and send it all with a check for 200.00 to the ATF address on the form. Well, I did, and now I don't have a copy of my trust; hell I don't even have the original notarized original. I'm ready to Short Barrel my krink, and I have the forms, the reciever, kit, $200.00; but NO trust.
Will I have to create another trust; this seemed like it would be easy until I realized I don't have the trust. Any help on this matter would be great. I was going to submit my form 1 for a SRB 5.45 krink tomorrow; but now it could take a long ass time. :neutral:
Also I do have Wilmaker Pro 2007 if I would have to do another trust; but I'm clueless at this point. :confused:

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I picked up my silencer, all I got was the silencer and the form 4 with the tax stamp on it. For all I know my FFL dealer might still have my trust saved on his computer. :confused: :neutral:

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I should have gotten this back from my FFL dealer when I got the form 4 and tax stamp?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, I may be screwed! :mad: My dealer never told me to keep the original and make a copy to send. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,276 Posts
I would get a hold of him and see if he still has the files on his computor. if he does, make sure you get them

I have my entire gun collection on my trust and have had to modify it a few times.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
If you gave him the original trust, I can tell you he wouldn't have it, why should he? He would have sent that off to the NFA branch along with the form 4s, the NFA branch has your original trust.

I would call the NFA branch and tell them you screwed up and sent them the original trust, and not a copy, so could they please make a copy of it for themselves, and send you back the original

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Caligula said:
If you gave him the original trust, I can tell you he wouldn't have it, why should he? He would have sent that off to the NFA branch along with the form 4s, the NFA branch has your original trust.
Do you think there's a way to retrieve the original from the NFA branch?

Man I paid him a good deal to do these forms for me; now I'm screwed. :mad:

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
LRRP-87 said:
Caligula said:
Do you think there's a way to retrieve the original from the NFA branch?

Man I paid him a good deal to do these forms for me; now I'm screwed. :mad:
I was editing my post to tell you what you should do, at the same time you posed that question.

call the NFA branch and tell them you screwed up and sent them the original trust, and not a copy, so could they please make a copy of it for themselves, and send you back the original

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate the help guys. :hail: Going to try to call on Tuesday; I'll let you know what happens.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
machineguneddie said:
if your FFL created the trust for you on his computer, he may still have the files and he can print a copy of it for you.
a copy is no good for legal estate purpose, unless it's a certified copy of it. You need to have the original.

·
Super Moderator
12,276 Posts
Caligula said:
machineguneddie said:
if your FFL created the trust for you on his computer, he may still have the files and he can print a copy of it for you.
a copy is no good for legal estate purpose, unless it's a certified copy of it. You need to have the original.
you're right

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Caligula said:
Why? When you modify your trust, Willmaker prints out a new copy and that is the new original. There is one page that is notarized. That page goes with the new modified trust and it is the orignal now.

The schedule A gets modified many times depending on how many items you add / subtract. The new modified printouts become original and you destroy the old ones to avoid confusion and making your trust questionable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts