AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine built a reloading bench for me. He has been reloading for about 50 years, started when he was a cop because he had to buy his own ammo. He pestered me about having it built but I wanted to wait until later. He was going to start on it last year but had the China flu, so he started on it this spring.

We used 4x4s for the legs, 2x6s for the top frame, and 2x4s for the braces. The top is a butcher block 25x48 and is an inch and a half thick. He wanted to use a formica counter top. We were at Menards looking at counter tops when I saw the butcher block. So we went with this instead. The selves are 3/4" thick secured to 2x4 braces. Lumber was bought at both Menards and Lowe's. He wanted it to look nice so he rounded the edges on the braces and shelves. He stained and then put polyurethane on the bench to protect it. The top cabinet is a kitchen cabinet from Lowe's while the lights are from Menards. The cabinet was stained to match the rest of the bench.

He attached a power strip on the right leg so I can plug in a tumbler and other things. He drilled a hole through the leg to run the wire through.The lights are on their own cord plugged directly into the wall. There is a button for a power switch behind the middle light on the mount. I can leave the lights off and the power strip on to run a tumbler, etc.. The lights are on a mount secured by knobs and screws to be removable. The cabinet is made to be removable. Everything else is screwed and wood glued together so as to be stronger. I wanted them to be just screwed together so I can move it easier. He did not want to do that for strength.

The shelves are spaced apart to hold ammo cans and strong enough to hold full ones. The drawers were made by him also, using nails and glue. The top is secured to the frame with brackets that are screwed and Gorilla glued.

He also took the pictures since he is better at it than I am. He used to take wedding photos. He blacked out the background of the bench being photos because it was in his garage. He did not like my curtains that look to be from the '50s, so he edited the photo to make them gray. I told him he should have changed my purple carpet while he was at it. I had him email me the original photo of the finished bench along with the edited photos. Most items on the bench are props. The press is mine along with the Lyman manual and Lyman ammo checker block. Everything else on top is his. The die boxes on the top shelf are his. He put a few of my boxes of ammo on the bottom shelf. The ammo cans are mine also. He did donate the green towel hanging on the bench since it matches my Redding T-7.

Edited to add 2x6s used for top frame not 4x4s.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. Now I need to buy all the reloading accessories -powder scale, powder drop, tumbler, bullet puller, etc..

Reactions: JeepFan

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Nicely done. It looks like a strong bench, which is always good for resizing bigger calibers.

That Redding T-7 is a great start. I love mine for load workup and small batches.

Beware, reloading can be a hobby all by itself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That looks somewhat like mine. For the table top, I went to a used office furniture store and got a Formica top for $10. I attached it to the 4x4 legs using angle brackets.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nicely done. It looks like a strong bench, which is always good for resizing bigger calibers.

That Redding T-7 is a great start. I love mine for load workup and small batches.

Beware, reloading can be a hobby all by itself.
My friend’s bench is a metal work bench that has been strengthened and has other mods. I looked at a metal work bench at Harbor Freight that would need to strengthened but it seemed too flimsy. Probably cheap Chinese shit. Having a bench built is the best way to make it as strong as I want and drawers the size and placement I want. Costs more but worth it. Lowe’s had a better (sturdier) metal bench than Harbor Freight if I we were to go that route instead of building one.

Reactions: JeepFan

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn!
I wouldn't have anything that nice for long, my old lady would snag it
I am hoping my neighbors think it is just furniture if they saw my friend and I bringing it into the house.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks somewhat like mine. For the table top, I went to a used office furniture store and got a Formica top for $10. I attached it to the 4x4 legs suing angle brackets.
You can see the angle brackets in the photos. There are seven of them to mount the top to the frame. The legs have two bolts in each leg from two different sides with 2x4 braces on the inner side of the bench with 2x4 braces lower and across the back to not allow movement. Everything that is not to be taken apart is screwed or bolted together with glue used also.

·
Super Moderator
26,486 Posts
Really nice looking bench there! Hopefully you can get the stuff you need, because some of it can be difficult to find easily right now.

Reactions: 43m1garand
1 - 11 of 11 Posts