AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been running my Century Arms for 5-6 years and I want to move to something better. Switching from 7.62x39 to 5.45x39 or to 5.56x45 doesnt bother me.
The price that I've seen for 1080 rounds of 5.45 seemed fantastic, but I don't know how long that price is going to last. I have a good supply of 5.56 so that is not an issue either.
The three rifles that I am considering are the waffen 74, or arsenal's in 5.56 or 5.45.
Is there anything that I'm missing? how are the 5.56 mags?
Thank you for any help

-Harry

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

The nice thing about the AK/AKM is that the 7.62x39 mags are all interchangeable, regardless as to which country or factory made them. The problem with the 5.56x45 variants is there are no standards for mags. The Romanian SAR-3 uses the German STG-940 system "Wieger" mags. The Chinese Norinco 84S uses a specific mag, and the Chinese Poly Tech AKS-223 uses a still different mag.

While there are many mags that can be adapted for use in the .223/5.56x45 variants, using adapted mags is hit or miss as to them working reliably or not. Add that the proprietary mags designed for the weapons, or in the case of the SAR-3 the mag that the weapon was designed to use, have become crazy expensive.

At least the 5.45x39 mags used in the AK-74 and it's variants are pretty much all interchangeable, ammo could become hard to get in the future as import restrictions hinder our getting the ammo. If you go 5.45x39, stock up while you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
Roger, I wasn't aware that basically all the 5.56 rifles had their own propritary mags, sounds like everything there's some give and take. 5.56 has a steady supply but its 3x the cost and 5.45 is dirt cheep but no ones quite sure how long the surplus will be around.
This being considered would it be better to go 5.56 if I can secure a mags, or 5.45 and buy a ton of ammo/ hope that some one starts making brass?

-Harry

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've got a Norinco 84S (5.56x45/.223)that I love to death. It was my first AK and it hasn't let me down yet. It's surprisingly accurate, very light recoil, and the mags are built like a tank. The obvious downside is the price of the mags. People seem to want to rape you at $70 and up per 30rnd mag. Though thankfully I stocked up on the mags before the price jump.

I also have a Arsenal SGL-31 (5.45x39) that I do like a lot as well. The average surplus mag will run you about $30 give or take per mag.

All in all I wouldn't let the 5.45x39 round scare you off because of "ammo availability". The round is popular enough I'm sure companies will pick up the ammo production if import of the round ever becomes constricted. At the moment an AK74 variant is the cheapest to shoot and cheapest to stockpile ammo for so that does pose a distinct advantage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats an insane price for mags. would you say that its worth the extra money to get the arsenal over a waffen werks or intra? I read some where on here that waffen was having some problems recently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats an insane price for mags.
Everything that I`ve read and people that I've talked to are pushing in the direction of the 74.
would you say that its worth the extra money to get the arsenal over a waffen werks or intra? I read some where on here that waffen was having some problems recently.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
The three rifles that I am considering are the waffen 74, or arsenal's in 5.56 or 5.45.
Based on my personal experience, I'd avoid the Arsenal in 5.56x45. Their reliability track record is very poor. If you want a 5.56x45 AK, then a Russian Vepr (heavier), Polish Archer (around $1000) or Chinese Norinco (expensive mags) are reliable options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts