AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First reactions?

Very, very solidly built, noticeably more so than even the N-PAP I just bought a few weeks ago. The wood on it is really nice.

Do you guys treat it with anything? It seems a bit "raw" or "dry" ... not sure I'm making sense.

I picked up seven Zastava AK mags and they fit nice and tight, no wobble at all.

Interestingly, the safety on the O-PAP is a standard AK safety, no notch for holding the bolt open.

Here are pictures:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the same rifle almost 3 weeks ago. The only thing I've done to mine is rub the wood down with 0000 steel wool to smooth everything out a little bit, then coat it in lemon oil. I think it looks really nice now, the stock feels like satin and the oil made it glow without losing the look.

I have only brought it to the range once so far, but I love it. Sights came dead on, the trigger is really really nice (didn't know Tapco made stuff quite that nice), and built like a brick house so recoil is mild.

I'll take and post some photos for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got one on the way too. That turned out really nice Handwrecker and seems easy enough to do. The fit and finish seems really good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got one last week. It's beautiful; just like yours. No problems whatsoever, unless you count a few leftover shavings in the receiver and a bit of rust on one of the magazines.

I buffed the wood with clear floor wax (wife's suggestion). It turned out great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Seems like a rumor, since more popped up for sale but you never know. My motto is buy it now if you want it, NOTHING is bound to last forever in the gun market.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
My M92 wood was the same. I sanded with 220, 400, 600, and 800 grit then put probably 10-12 coats of tung oil and sanded lightly with 800 again. Came out nicely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got mine last week from century. When I talked to some Russian sounding dude there he was all like "Good choice my friend, this is last shipment, you keep, don't sell, trust me no more like this one... Only NPAP now"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
the guys at atlantic confirmed that once the supply that is in the country is gone, there will be no more imported. i bought two just in case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now get a US made Yugo grip from Ronin and you will be good.
I'm a total AK noob, but I assume this is what you're talking about? That does look a lot more authentic than my current one. Only thing I'm worried about is it would be too small according to their description. I wear large gloves, anyone have some experience with this Ronin Yugo grip?

Yugoslavian M70/M72/M92 Grip

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm a total AK noob, but I assume this is what you're talking about? That does look a lot more authentic than my current one. Only thing I'm worried about is it would be too small according to their description. I wear large gloves, anyone have some experience with this Ronin Yugo grip?

Yugoslavian M70/M72/M92 Grip
Trust me they are exactly like the authentic Yugo grips as I have both, this is why I recommend them. His replicas are identical to the model they are made after. The Yugo grips are really around the same size as any standard AK grip. If that works for you then its no issue.

I recommend upgrading AK grips to what fits the most comfortable in your hand. Hogue is a good start, but its so many options out there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My Yugos came covered in oil, not what I consider cosmoline (a thick brown grease). I cant imagine them using cosmoline for rifles they are making new and selling direct to retailers that hardly stay on a shelf over a a few months.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Right in line with you, picked up six from Tombstone Tactical
View attachment 3016

This is probably something you've wished for a long time. I can't honestly tell a difference between my Mitchell and my O Pap. They are exactly the same thing. The Mitchell's guns were also parts guns just like the O Pap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts