What do you think? One of only a handful of known legit Finnish PU's

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SturmGrenadier said:
very nice...

will you be posting detailed pics Fireman? *fingers crossed*

Is the mount and/or PU scope [SA] marked?
Here's the short version. The rifle is SA marked,mount and scope are not. That is the norm on Finn captures. When the rifle was imported the mount and maybe or maybe not the scope. It is unclear if it was Century or the Finns that removed the scope. I got this from the guy who pulled it off the pallet at Century. It is w/o doubt a legit Finned PU. The Finns had less than 100 recorded in inventory for the entire war.

ETA..I will do some close ups but it might be tomorrow before I can get some daylight ones.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Oh man this hurts...

It is likely not original. Look at the scope turrets, they are not blued... the modern reproduction scopes are not blued either, however Soviet scopes (on most legit guns that I have seen) are blued (but there are some that aren't). The scope is probably new production along with the mount. PROBABLY.

The rifle may be an original rifle that lost its scope, or it may have been a Inter Ordinance or early Century hack job. I am hoping it is original... please take pics of the barrel and the cutout on the stock.

Please don't flame me as I know you probably paid much for this gun, but as a collector I must say its suspicious...

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/fake_sniper.htm

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Q-gunner2 said:
Oh man this hurts...

It is likely not original. Look at the scope turrets, they are not blued... the modern reproduction scopes are not blued either, however Soviet scopes (on most legit guns that I have seen) are blued (but there are some that aren't). The scope is probably new production along with the mount. PROBABLY.

The rifle may be an original rifle that lost its scope, or it may have been a Inter Ordinance or early Century hack job. I am hoping it is original... please take pics of the barrel and the cutout on the stock.

Please don't flame me as I know you probably paid much for this gun, but as a collector I must say its suspicious...

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/fake_sniper.htm
This is a 100% legit rifle. It was pulled from the pallet by the original owner. The scope was put on from a pile of take offs from the same shipment. Both the rifle and scope came from Finland. The scope may or may not have been removed by Century..This is not my first PU. I have collected Mosins for a number of years.

I bought this rifle from Vic.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Its an oddball rifle then... please take more pictures for us.

Vic is a good and honest man, so if he says its real then I have no reason to doubt it. Sorry for my doubtfull first post, there are so many fakes going around that collectors have to be careful. Seriously though, the mount looks new. Can you take some pictures of the markings on the mount?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SVT said:
If it came from Vic, its the real deal. Nice peice! :wink:
SVT..thanks! This was just a right place and right time thing. :grin:

Q-gunner...not sure why you consider this an oddball piece. It is a standard 91/30 PU that the Finns replaced the stock on. The mounts are original. The scope has not been refurbed, the fact that the turrets are not blued is because that is how they were issued. The non-refurbed scope is rare. In fact any kind of non-refurbed Russian/Soviet stuff is rare because the Soviets undertook massive arsenal refurb programs several times, post war, late 50's-early 60's and in the 70's.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Fireman said:
Q-gunner...not sure why you consider this an oddball piece. It is a standard 91/30 PU that the Finns replaced the stock on. The mounts are original. The scope has not been refurbed, the fact that the turrets are not blued is because that is how they were issued. The non-refurbed scope is rare. In fact any kind of non-refurbed Russian/Soviet stuff is rare because the Soviets undertook massive arsenal refurb programs several times, post war, late 50's-early 60's and in the 70's.
You said you don't know why I think its an oddball piece, then state (what I already know) that almost all Soviet stuff was refurbished at the end of the war, making that scope rareish (and logically it isn't refurbished by the Soviets, since the Finns captured it); and the lack of blueing being something fakes have caught my attention, although the rifle is not fake. Also, the extremely small number of Finnish sniper rifles that are ligit makes a difference. The scope mount looks odd for some reason, maybe it is the flash of the camera, but it looks almost reblued. It's from Vic so it's real and original, I was just curious about it. I am a collector and love finding rare pieces, if it weren't for IO and Century my first post would be saying how damn beautiful that gun is (seriously, its amazing).

I have a non-refurbished 1944 M-38 Izzy, with the original M-38 stock numbered to the rifle, by the way. I also have a refurb M-38, refurb 91/30, Hungarian M-44, and a Russian refurb SVT-40. I love Russian stuff.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Mount looks absolutely legit....blue is correct and the corners are chamfered...its those post war/Ukrainian parked mounts that don't look right.

You can see various posts of mine in these threads...

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=140503

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=146127

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=143305

Base plate is what I would love to see close ups of Fireman if you get the chance plus of course the barrel shank data....Arsenal, year, S/N etc.

I bet that stock looks absolutely gorgeous out in the Sun light eh?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Rich,

Damn nice pal! You've been busy these last couple of weeks. :wink: Don't forget to get me the info on your M1 Carbine guy.

Thanks!!

Travis

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Travis. It has been a good couple of weeks. :dance:

Qgunner...okay now I understand. I'm not sure that I would refer to an original piece as odd ball.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Well, for instance if you had a real SVT-40 sniper rifle I would consider that an oddball too. It's rare. Oddball isn't bad, it just means its far different than what I/most collectors have seen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts