AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20+ years ago, I really had a jones for a Galil. I sold the Norinco AK I had at the time, and saved some cash so I could buy one. It was a beautiful rifle and it shot well. At the time, it's flip up night sights made it the only rifle around that had some utility at night. No night sights, red-dots or flashlights on ARs. So I was really styling. Then, like many foolish young men, I got married. And when we eventually found a house we liked, I sold my SAR-48 FAL and my Galil to help raise the down payment. Before the ban. When I only got 1/3 of the price I would have gotten just two years later.

Fast forward to today. About a year ago, I bought one of the Guatemalan Galil kits. It was a nasty thing. Most of the finish worn off of the stock and top cover. Old, caked brown grease and paint remnants in the groove. The wooden handguard was worn, cracked and an ugly brown that wasn't a wood color, rather it was imbedded cosmoline and dirt. When ORF ran a special on their Hebrew marked receivers, I snatched up one of those. And finally, I took it down to Ron at Henderson Defense. The result is what you see below.

We took it out today for an impromptu shoot. Consequently, I didn't have my sight adjusting tool with me so I couldn't really shoot for groups or accuracy. As a function check however, it ran great. It fed Wolf and some explosive tipped handloads without a bobble or failure to eject. In fact, the ejection pattern was very vigorous, kicking the empties a good 25 feet. The action was smooth and a joy to shoot. No AR recoil spring "sproing", but you can definitely feel/hear the long travel of the AK style bolt carrier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts