AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined yesterday, so here's a little background:

Bolt-action .22 from my dad since I was a kid, started shooting handguns late 80's, joined monthly local IPSC/USPSA matches during mid-late 90's, then transitioned to IDPA up to present.

IDPA at my member range also features alternating rifle/shotgun side matches (see http://www.cavrpc.org/idpa.htm ), which after all those years strictly handgunning looked a lot different and interesting. Finally succumbed to temptation and have been joining in over the past few years.

First got one of those other black rifles (Bushmaster), which was OK for awhile, but under the subversive influence of our very-own Templar soon found myself behind an Arsenal SA M7S. I also briefly tried out the underfolding SAS M7. Looked muchos [email protected], but found that it didn't fit me nearly as well as the fixed-stock, so ended up selling it:

Have to admit since having gotten another of those other rifles (Armalite this time), which as we all know has distinct theoretical advantages and which I can shooter faster than the AK. At the same time though, it just doesn't seem to have the same personality. I also wonder about the differences in reliability/upkeep aspects, and that the AK makes a lot bigger holes. I'm not a collector by inclination, so need to decide which is The One for me.

My wife's not a shooter in any form, but she likes to read a lot, and including various SHTF-scenario novels. I explained the situation to her, and she said, "Well, keep the AK of course."

·
Registered
881 Posts
BlackScot said:

Bolt-action .22 from my dad since I was a kid, started shooting handguns late 80's, joined monthly local IPSC/USPSA matches during mid-late 90's, then transitioned to IDPA up to present.

IDPA at my member range also features alternating rifle/shotgun side matches (see http://www.cavrpc.org/idpa.htm ), which after all those years strictly handgunning looked a lot different and interesting. Finally succumbed to temptation and have been joining in over the past few years.

First got one of those other black rifles (Bushmaster), which was OK for awhile, but under the subversive influence of our very-own Templar soon found myself behind an Arsenal SA M7S. I also briefly tried out the underfolding SAS M7. Looked muchos [email protected], but found that it didn't fit me nearly as well as the fixed-stock, so ended up selling it:

Have to admit since having gotten another of those other rifles (Armalite this time), which as we all know has distinct theoretical advantages and which I can shooter faster than the AK. At the same time though, it just doesn't seem to have the same personality. I also wonder about the differences in reliability/upkeep aspects, and that the AK makes a lot bigger holes. I'm not a collector by inclination, so need to decide which is The One for me.

My wife's not a shooter in any form, but she likes to read a lot, and including various SHTF-scenario novels. I explained the situation to her, and she said, "Well, keep the AK of course."
You too huh? He seems to have done that to a lot of us :neutral:

:twisted:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
M4arc said:
BlackScot said:

You too huh? He seems to have done that to a lot of us :neutral:

:twisted:

Man, you say that like it's a bad thing..... :twisted:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
There is a special "Allure" of an AK! :grin:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Indeed

The DARK ONE wields great influence on the weak minds
of the milledless.....

Join HIM you will

:hail:

or maybe you won't

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DWarner said:
Smart Woman!!!
Even though not a shooter, she is very practical, and can also appreciate the aspect of supposedly inanimate objects having personalities of-sorts (i.e. AK's, Harly Davidsons, Les Paul guitars, etc.).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts