AK Rifles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of the CenterFireSystems Bulgy Ak74s, which I haven't had a chance to shoot yet. Now I'm hearing that the gas ports on these guns are oversize, "overgassing" the BC and causing damage to the trunnion.

Comments?

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than mic ing the port, how would I check the spec?

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a Century build on a NDS receiver.

I'm going to try shoot it this coming week, if work will ease up for a day or two.

· Super Moderator
10,195 Posts
scapegoat762 said:
It's a Century build on a NDS receiver.

I'm going to try shoot it this coming week, if work will ease up for a day or two.
Everything I have seen on the over gassing is the Lancaster guns. Only issue with the Century ones is a very rare occasional keyholing.

If you do have any issues. Century has been pretty good the last couple of years on taking care of people. This can not be said of Lancaster though.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, one less thing I have to worry about. I really want to like this rifle, and I hope that shooting it won't give me a reason not to. A $350 rifle without major issues would be awesome!!!

· Registered
336 Posts
Well....

This might end up being ridiculed, but what I did to test the gas port diameter of my Kvar barrel assemblies was to use a small piece of steel wire (in my case from one of those cheap lawn flags that you can buy at a hardware store), and put it in the vise. Squeeze and measure until you come up with the right gas port size plus a few thousandths. File slightly if you overdo it. Use your calipers to measure. Then, carefully slide the bent wire down the gas port hole and into the barrel. If it doesn't fit, you should be gtg. FIle down to the proper diameter, and it should pop into the bore with a little wiggling.

Hopefully that's not completely stupid, but it made sense to me.

· Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Now that's a McGyver-style solution. Not precise, but probably adequate, and QUITE clever.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much smarter than anything I would have come up with!

I just put a Blackjack buffer in it, and called it good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.