AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I filed a Form 1 for my first NFA item today. It is for a SBR.

This was my first go around on this so I did a Trust and filed it online at the ATF online portal.

NOTE: The online submission is only for Trusts Corporations or FFL's

The process was a bit of a pain but once you have done it once it would go pretty quick. The site according to their welcome page only works with IE 8 or Safari so that was a bit of a pain in the butt. I don't know about other browsers but IE 10 wouldn't work on the site correctly, it would function enough to allow registration but logging in first time it crapped out.

I downloaded installed Safari for Windows. Works fine with Chrome also.

1). Created account www.atfonline.gov
2). logged in.
3). Selected FORM 1 from the form selection Roller
4). Filled out FORM 1
5). Select Add Firearm ...filled in info (don't attach trust doc at this step, document attachment here is for schematics blueprints etc.)
6). Documents section-Select Trust/Corp Docs from drop down, Attached signed/notarized PDF scan of Trust Documents (Declaration of Trust, Certification of Trust, Schedule A) and ATF Cert. of Citizenship Form all as one file.
7). Paid w/Credit Card
8). Submitted Application

NOW WAIT!!! This took a couple of minutes...thought it was locked up so be patient!

Success!!

POPUP

Your form has been successfully submitted. Your application number is: 2XXXXXXX77

Now the wait for approval!!

One site said online submission cut wait times about in half...we shall see.

UPDATE: Received approval email today 12-19-13 with PDF Scan of Form 1 w/stamp and approving official's signature so appox 93 days filing too receipt....Think that's a bit faster then the paper application...I'm happy!

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Congrats. Ill keep an eye to see how long it does take you. If not too bad then maybe ill be buying a suppressor sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
On-line cuts the time in half? I can only hope as I hope to have my suppressor coming into the shop on a Form 3 this week. Don't know if I can take 6+ months for the FOrm 4.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
That's great news if the wait times get cut, but I'm still gonna do like I always do when I said a new one out this month- try really hard to forget about it!

Congrats! Getting that stamp in the mail is the closest thing to Xmas morning when I was a kid, that's for sure.

The online stuff is a good step forward, but I'm still going to go the old fashion route for now I think. New sheriff election is coming soon though so might be forced to head the trust route soon.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can't say how much faster the online application is for fact. I just read it on one of the sites I visited while researching trusts...guess we will see....they didn't hesitate in ding my CC the $200.00 clams..

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I can't say how much faster the online application is for fact. I just read it on one of the sites I visited while researching trusts...guess we will see....they didn't hesitate in ding my CC the $200.00 clams..
I think that is the only thing the NFA branch does truly efficiently :doh:

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
So they don't like Trusts, but the wait for a Trust is about half? Go figure ...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's faster due to the online application, since trusts do not have the fingerprint cards or LEO signoff the "Trust" based application can be submitted on the eforms site. It's not the Trust that makes it faster it's the online submission...Trust makes online submission possible for regular non FFL on Form 1's.

Yes if the efile is actually faster they have unintentionally created a process that would encourage Trust type submissions (which they apparently are looking to eliminate)...Law of unintended consequence's strikes again.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
nfatracer is showing Form 4 times of right at 9 months, with some examiners expecting the times to go to 9 to 15 months. Form an individual application, the background check takes 24 to 48 hours. Trusts are supposed to be reviewed by BATF counsel for legal sufficiency.
I can't see where an individual app should take anywhere near what it is taking now, it is bordering on absurd.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The 1st one I did took 90 days total (about 8 1/2 years ago) and wasn't on my trust...numbers 2, 3, 4 were on my trust and took 90 days also...number 5 was on my trust and took 5 1/2 months...this one I'm waiting on is through my trust and it's the 6th and final...I'm into 7 months waiting and this is with two requests from the trust examiner to change info on the app...the 1st request was for a change of info that I remove the word "the" out of a line in my trust's title...the last request by the trust examiner was for me to replace the serial number of the gun with my trust info...I called on this one and confirmed that that request was a mistake on the examiner's part...and the wait continues...:rant: ...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm into 7 months waiting and this is with two requests from the trust examiner to change info on the app...the 1st request was for a change of info that I remove the word "the" out of a line in my trust's title...the last request by the trust examiner was for me to replace the serial number of the gun with my trust info...I called on this one and confirmed that that request was a mistake on the examiner's part...and the wait continues...:rant: ...
My god what are they doing.... borrowing examiners from the IRS...remove "the" from your trust...I would have called on that!!! Your Trust name is none of their business....as long as the name on the trust docs match the Form ....remove the serial # and replace with trust name?? WTF ...I would have been asking to speak to his boss at that point...basically he instructed you to commit a felony...Sounds like a real cluster fuck!!

Probably instructed to turn down, delay and impede applications...especially trusts hoping to enact the rules change, kick em all back for CLEO sign off and fingerprint cards.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can take this with caution since it come from the NFA person answering the phone. They told me 6-8 weeks to go pending on mail in apparently (online are automatic pending) Then 9 months from pending date to approval. I sent a form 1 induvidual app in on 8/29, i should kick my own a## for procastinating. RIDICULOUS!!

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
You can take this with caution since it come from the NFA person answering the phone. They told me 6-8 weeks to go pending on mail in apparently (online are automatic pending) Then 9 months from pending date to approval. I sent a form 1 induvidual app in on 8/29, i should kick my own a## for procastinating. RIDICULOUS!!
It all depends on timing. When you mail in...they process all a bunch of the checks at once and when they have a certain number of forms they mail them all to WV (at least for F4's). If your paperwork arrives just before they mail it all up you are good to go. If they just mailed everything you may wait for a month before it gets sent to the examiners. I just sent a F4 in for an AAC TiRant 45 suppressor. The check was cashed two days after it arrived and I went pending two weeks later. The last suppressor F4 I sent in for a SilencerCo Sparrow SS was sitting for 6 weeks before the check was cashed and another 3 weeks before it went pending. You just have to hit the cycle right...and nobody outside the ATF knows when the next batch will be sent to WV to the examiners....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've done amendments to the original form 1 in past years and whomever I've had to deal with at ATF has been helpful and courteous and things got done fast enough to suit me...but this thing has me wonderin'...the lady (Angela is her name) was courteous and I'm waiting to see if this third time is the charm...personally I'd rather patiently wait them out and eventually get the stamp than plow in and and piss the wrong person off...this is for a 105 build that has taken me 3+ years to accumulate the Rusky parts for...oh, and another thing, I always send the stuff priority mail with tracking so if there's any question I know when it was delivered...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
FORM53201-APPROVED_Page_1.jpg Success ...received email from ATF today... Form1 status approved along with attached PDF scan of Form1 w/tax stamp.

So it took 3 months and a couple of days...I'd say the online appl. is a bit faster then the paper route.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
HOLY $H!+!!!!!!!! thats insane! Most people are seeing 6 to 9 months, with it getting longer and longer as things move along. 3 months is GREAT! Haven't seen it that quick in a few years.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
WOW!! That's fantastic. I'm planning on submitting 2 after the holidays. I hope mine get the same track that yours took.

post picks of your Shorty AR now that you got the stamp. :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
What a coincidence. I submitted two applications for a Form-1 on the same exact day as you (14 September 2013), and I received an email the same exact day (19 December 2013) saying that my tax stamps have been approved and included an attachment w/ the tax stamps.

Record time!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts