AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blocked out the last 2 numbers, I think it came out pretty good. I had the engraving plates made to copy the number font from some pics that another member took the time to send me. I also have both versions of the circle K3. One that is shown & the one that is sometimes located by the barrel pin. Any thoughts on how to improve this ? Or is it good to go as is ?

· Registered
8,049 Posts
I've got a few planned EG 74 builds and your work in that picture certainly pleases me!

ETA - it does look like there is a bit of a "slant" to the font as applied to the trunion.

Do you simply mill the trunion flat and then engrave or do you weld over the existing numbers, then mill flat to the original overall width of the trunion? If that info is a trade secret, I understand.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MPiKM-72 said:
I've got a few planned EG 74 builds and your work in that picture certainly pleases me!

ETA - it does look like there is a bit of a "slant" to the font as applied to the trunion.

Do you simply mill the trunion flat and then engrave or do you weld over the existing numbers, then mill flat to the original overall width of the trunion? If that info is a trade secret, I understand.
I TIG weld over the old numbers, surface grind it flat then engrave. The numbers for the most part are straight, If I made them all perfect then it wouldn't be an AK :grin: Also the pic was taken at a weird angle. I was in a hurry to get it boxed up ,and shipped before the post office closed.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
gundoc said:
MPiKM-72 said:

I TIG weld over the old numbers, surface grind it flat then engrave. The numbers for the most part are straight, If I made them all perfect then it wouldn't be an AK :grin: Also the pic was taken at a weird angle. I was in a hurry to get it boxed up ,and shipped before the post office closed.

Cool.

The only other thing is the K3 in a oval seems "heavy". I think the font needs to be a bit thinner. In all regards - it is still fine work.

Stottman photo of "thin font" K3:

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I went a little heavy on the K3. I believe it's going to be blasted & parkerized then moly coated. I figured better to play it safe then sorry. I used a flat bottom V type carbide cutter. the K3 is only a few thousands deep, so with a block & some fine emery paper it could be made to look just like the one in your pic. Man I wish I had access to that image when I started this project.

· Registered
358 Posts
gundoc said:
I blocked out the last 2 numbers, I think it came out pretty good. I had the engraving plates made to copy the number font from some pics that another member took the time to send me. I also have both versions of the circle K3. One that is shown & the one that is sometimes located by the barrel pin. Any thoughts on how to improve this ? Or is it good to go as is ?

The rifle being built around that trunnion will be finished this weekend :grin: I will post some picts soon.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
That is totally awesome.

That blue color is Dykem I think. I used it when engraving and making molds as well. We made photosensitive releif stencils from transparencies then engraved them with that.

Id also use Dykem to mark the bullet tips, blue, red etc..... its neat stuff.

Let me try to dig up a K3 photo i have of one of my rifles.

· Registered
358 Posts
I will get some indoor pictures at a later date. The build breaks down like this:
NDS2 receiver
Arsenal FCG
Arsenal gas piston
Bulgy barrel assem., bolt head, trunnions and AKM type mag catch (more correct for EG)
E. German hand guards, gas tube, grip, stock, bolt carrier, rear sight, night sights, top cover, selector, brake, pivot pins, extractor assem., recoil assem. and springs. Also all accesories.
The only serial numbered parts are the receiver and front trunnion. Looks nice and clean like that.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Very nice build! That engraving looks great!

What type of finish did you use?

· Registered
358 Posts
MPiKM-72 said:
Very nice build! That engraving looks great!

What type of finish did you use?
KG Gunkote AK Black over Lauer Manganese Phosphate park. I sprayed the AK Black a little heavier and wetter than usual to closley match the EG gloss black.

· Registered
970 Posts
Hi,
Beautiful build! I am currently working on my own MPi 74 clone, and am going to be using a sanitized Bulgarian 74 trunnion. I would like to have a custom serial number engraved, may I ask if you offer this service? If so what would be the cost? I would really like to make this a high end custom piece, and any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks,
will6970

· Registered
4,548 Posts
will6970 said:
Hi,
Beautiful build! I am currently working on my own MPi 74 clone, and am going to be using a sanitized Bulgarian 74 trunnion. I would like to have a custom serial number engraved, may I ask if you offer this service? If so what would be the cost? I would really like to make this a high end custom piece, and any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks,
will6970
It's been a LONG time since gundoc has logged into the site. From what I've heard, he's been completely backed up with work.

· Registered
970 Posts
mojo100 said:
will6970 said:
Hi,
Many Thanks,
will6970
It's been a LONG time since gundoc has logged into the site. From what I've heard, he's been completely backed up with work.

Hi moj100,
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of anyone else who does custom engraving?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.