AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is a pic of my 82 Romy. I built it today and it was my first build. Took about 7 hours or so to do. I used a Ewbanks 2nd gen 100% receiver, Copes rivets and mag. All the rest is from Tapco. Receiver went together well with some fitting but nothing that seemed out of line. It was lots of fun.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Why the M-4 stock... come on man, WHY...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it out to the range today for a function test. 1 round, then 2 rounds, then 3, then 5, 10, 30. It worked well. i did have a couple of jams thou. I atribute that to being a fresh build and not cleaned yet. VERY rough. i do expect it to clear up once it is cleaned well and after i get some more rounds through it.

I used the 6 Pos stock since I will be the one shooting it 99.99% of the time. I have long arms and want to be comfortable shooting it. Besides I am also doing an AR with the same stock. It just works for me. I know some AK purists say it is not right, and I say if they want to pay for my parts then I will build it the way they think is right.

I am not sure about the finish on the Rec yet. I am leaning towards sending it to Salbo and letting him refinish it. Have not 100% decided yet thou. There is a place in Wildwood call rebel gun refinishing also. I may take it to Ken and see what he can do for me. Still up in the air.

Thanx for the comments. It feels good to do some thing that most people can not say they have done.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I'll give you a complete re-finished Romy buttstock if you'll pay shipping.

Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just wanted to post a couple more pics. I can not wait till i can get it refinishied

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep i have SAW grip but i need to fit it to the rifle also. Just have not had the time yet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Serious question...not trying to be a dick.

Can those Tapco handguards take the heat of prolonged range time or will they melt?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont see it being a problem on the grips. i will post if i do start to notice any thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Personally I think you did a great job. I really don't care what kind of stuff a new guy puts on HIS AK, just as long as he is building it's all good. My first couple of builds I did I wasn't concerned at all about keeping them pure, but as my building hobby (obsession) has matured, I am more the kind of guy who keeps my personal rifles more true to the original. Maybe you will be like me, or maybe you will continue to build your AKs custom. Either way is cool as long as you keep building and encourage others to build. I will never be the one to alienate a fellow builder and exerciser or our Second Amendment rights.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dalesimpson said:
Personally I think you did a great job. I really don't care what kind of stuff a new guy puts on HIS AK, just as long as he is building it's all good. My first couple of builds I did I wasn't concerned at all about keeping them pure, but as my building hobby (obsession) has matured, I am more the kind of guy who keeps my personal rifles more true to the original. Maybe you will be like me, or maybe you will continue to build your AKs custom. Either way is cool as long as you keep building and encourage others to build. I will never be the one to alienate a fellow builder and exerciser or our Second Amendment rights.
Thanx for the kind words. I will build a coulpe of stock ones and this one can still go stock as i have all the wood and nothing was modified to prevent that. I did know that some purist would not like it but some dont like blondes, or redheads, asian, or latinos it takes all kinds.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I'm a purist, but not an ass, so it looks good and if the stock and grip work for you, than thats what matters. But if its a longer stock and Poly look you want, try one of the NATO length stoksets from K-var

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may check out K-Var, I have not really looked at them much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts