AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm a new member to the forum. I have a slight issue I was hoping to get some opinions on.

I'm planning on buying an AK Varient coming up in January unfortunately for me I'm not well educated in the world of AK pattern rifles as I would like to be.

I've narrowed down the criteria to under 600 but I'm very unsure of what truly would make the best all around rifle. Accuracy and reliability and build quality are at the top of my list but lighter weights are a bonus.

I've narrowed my search to 3 rifles and would like some idea as to why I should chose one over another. I've done research on all three and I'm genuinely stuck.

CII Hungarian AMD 65/63 $500
https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-63-7-62x39-rifle-with-solid-stock-phoenix-stock-type2

US Made Century Arms RAS 47 (5 extra mags) $590
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ras47-rifle-ak-type-semi-auto-by-century-arms

NEW Century Arms Romanian WASR-10 $600
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

All have "standard" furniture.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
of those 3 choices the wasr is the only one built in a foreign factory thats made aks for a long time that uses a chf chrome lined barrel. Of those 3, the wasr is definitely the best.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I will echo what has been said above and recommend the WASR; Century finally got the magazine wells right on those rifles. While the three rifles mentioned are standard in configuration, the WASR is manufactured to a superior standard that has dictated the production of mil-spec AK's for decades.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
WASR.

AMD 63 - generally foreign made AK barrels are best. There are exceptions but not for mass produced rifles in the $500 range. That break is LAUD! That front pistol grip makes it a pain to isert 30 round mags and without it those handguards get hot.

RAS47 - Questionable metallurgy

WASR- while it does have its own quirks it I'd built on known quality barrel and metallurgy.

I can't believe that it's come to be that a WASR became a middle of the road AK

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Save another $150-$200 and look fr a nice used rifle.
This is a better option. If you can save $600 you can save another $200 and get a nice used Arsenal or Vepr or a different but better AK

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
WASR would be my choice also. The RAS is neutered IIRC no bayo lug and there may be a metal problem.
The AMD's to me are just plain ugly. So of the 3 you offered WASR. Welcome to this forum and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Merry Christmas all thank you for the feedback so it seems a restounding WASR so far. And as far as buying one used I love the idea but I'll be honest and say it I don't like second hand guns. I mean I've owned a few and never had a problem but I'd rather just have new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WASR.

AMD 63 - generally foreign made AK barrels are best. There are exceptions but not for mass produced rifles in the $500 range. That break is LAUD! That front pistol grip makes it a pain to isert 30 round mags and without it those handguards get hot.

RAS47 - Questionable metallurgy

WASR- while it does have its own quirks it I'd built on known quality barrel and metallurgy.

I can't believe that it's come to be that a WASR became a middle of the road AK

What is this about questionable metallurgy?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
When it comes to new guys I don't even bother explaining the bayo lug thing. Not everyone cares about it and it doesn't effect anything. If they like AKs and want to go further down the rabbit hole then we can talk about cleaning rods, bayo lugs, correct lighting cuts along with assorted other parts and accessories

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
What is this about questionable metallurgy?
Soft metal. Bolt carriers and front trunions. Peeing and breaking .

The consistency isn't there. Some are good some arnt.

However, all that aside. US manufacturers make AKs for the occasional casual shooter. Where the chances of them having a problem are slim. Someone who MAY shoot 500 rounds a year but probably half of that. Corners can be cut to keep costs down cause at 0 - 500 rounds a year chances are problems may not show up or show up much later. At which point that casual shooter proclaims that he's had the rifle for X years and things do fail eventually. ....not taking into consideration that owning and shooting are two different things. That being said they do try to put a nice finish on them cause your avg casual shooter will care about the "fit and finish" Guys who shoot more find these problems pretty quickly. On the other hand you. On the other hand rifles made to military spec on machines and in plants that have been making them for half a century may not have the best finish but they get actual use. There are some exceptions but not many. That WASR is made of the same material on the same machines and by the same people who make the military rifles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it comes to new guys I don't even bother explaining the bayo lug thing. Not everyone cares about it and it doesn't effect anything. If they like AKs and want to go further down the rabbit hole then we can talk about cleaning rods, bayo lugs, correct lighting cuts along with assorted other parts and accessories

For me I know about most of those things while I don't care about them personally I do like a near mil spec weapon. I of course never want to leave something the way it is. I would consider myself a lover of AK type rifles but never actually took the plunge I've shot a few hundred rounds out of borrowed AKs and even took a few animals :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Soft metal. Bolt carriers and front trunions. Peeing and breaking .

The consistency isn't there. Some are good some arnt.

However, all that aside. US manufacturers make AKs for the occasional casual shooter. Where the chances of them having a problem are slim. Someone who MAY shoot 500 rounds a year but probably half of that. Corners can be cut to keep costs down cause at 0 - 500 rounds a year chances are problems may not show up or show up much later. At which point that casual shooter proclaims that he's had the rifle for X years and things do fail eventually. ....not taking into consideration that owning and shooting are two different things. That being said they do try to put a nice finish on them cause your avg casual shooter will care about the "fit and finish" Guys who shoot more find these problems pretty quickly. On the other hand you. On the other hand rifles made to military spec on machines and in plants that have been making them for half a century may not have the best finish but they get actual use. There are some exceptions but not many. That WASR is made of the same material on the same machines and by the same people who make the military rifles.

Okay well then the RAS is out for sure it was the odd ball IMO. I'm more of a fit not finish kinda of shooter I don't want to buy junk but looking at these two the WASR and the AMD it may come down to straight build quality.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Okay well then the RAS is out for sure it was the odd ball IMO. I'm more of a fit not finish kinda of shooter I don't want to buy junk but looking at these two the WASR and the AMD it may come down to straight build quality.
There the problem IMO. Fit and finish doesn't mean junk. Anyone can polish a turd.....still a turd! Unless it's a collectable fit and finish is the last thing I look at if I look at it at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There the problem IMO. Fit and finish doesn't mean junk. Anyone can polish a turd.....still a turd! Unless it's a collectable fit and finish is the last thing I look at if I look at it at all.

Well you're definitely right there but it can also go the other way as well though often times the build quality of a gun can be reflected in its fit and finish. But just like momma said its what's on the inside that counts. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts