1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL

WHAT do you guy think,

same as the 1st one just diff,

NOW I called earlier today and spoke with a lady about my aresenal rifle. I told her that the paint is flaking off in three spots and that I wasn’t really wanting to send it in but I was just kind of mad that I just bought a rifle only four days prior and the paint was flaking off of it already. The lady asked if I had used any harsh cleaning solvents on the rifle and I informed her that I had read the instructions stating that “not to use any solvents” the only solvent that is to be used is break-free. But since it’s only four days old I have not put any oils on it, all I have done is wiped it down with a soft baby diaper. After telling her this she insisted that I should return it so they could inspect it, and if necessary refinish it. On the rifle you will notice I drew a white arrow indicating where the paint was flaking off. I scratched at one of the spots that was flaking to be sure that it was indeed flaking.

If indeed the rifle will be refinished, I hope it will be refinished at the factory with the parts staying their natural color without flaking. My main concern is that you do not just take spray paint to the rifle and do it cheaply. I really did not want to have to send it in but I’m not going to be pleased with a rifle that is flaking and will probably continue to flake.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Frank said:
I’m not going to be pleased with a rifle that is flaking ...
Ah, the heartbreak of Bulgarian BBQ paint instability ...

I think this is what they use over there:

Sooner or later, it's time to redo 'er.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you think it is a wsaed of time deal with aresenal, should I just shoot's it until it need to be done all over, I NEVER did like paint parts, I think I would get it parkizine,

well I will see what other guy think. It JUST MAKES ME MAD kowning I paid $725.00 for a rifle and it doing this, who know what will happen wennt I FRIED IT,

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just bought a slr-107FR and I have spot just like that by the safty/selector. Yeah, it sucks that a $800 rifle is not park/gun coated but I knew that going in. Figure some day I will get it parked and coated.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
on mine it used to come off just my scraping it with my finger nail.

get like 4 other arsenal rifles and send them off for park and GC

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
I must be the extreme odd ball. I have a 107cr and a fr. Neither of them has chipped pealed or lost any paint. The cr is kinda banged up cuz its the one I use the most but still only dings and not finish falling away.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
TANKERFRANK said:
... But since it’s only four days old I have not put any oils on it, all I have done is wiped it down with a soft baby diaper.

Future text in Arsenal manual: "Please do not wipe down your rifle with a soft baby diaper as this will damage the finish."

:lol:

Sorry, Dude, the Bulgarian paint does leave something to be desired. Yours might be flaking off a little easier than some, but that Bulgarian paint is pretty weak on everyone's gun.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you are interested in knowing that Arsenals finishes suck, you may dig this bit of info also... water is wet. I know, I couldn't beleive it at first either. :wink:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My 106 manual actually says in the safety section that the rifle can not think for itself...
:lol:

Luckily I knew ahead of time that the finish was crap, so I've been careful not to use harsh solvents. I've had good luck with M-Pro7, Breakfree CLP, and Slip 2000.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Typical Bulgy paint :) Now...

"all I have done is wiped it down with a soft baby diaper"

a CLEAN one, right? Remember - babyshit is FAR harder than factory Arsenal paint :)

Seriously... I would let it go until you are ready to strip it & GunKote it... The GOOD news? It takes very little time to remove that Arsenal Squid Ink - simple Acetone will eat it alive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:shock: thank guy! I Do think I will be wasted my time and money to sent it back, sound like them will just Bulgy paint again,

if I do Acetone to strip it will the parkizine be good like a U.S. Army oark job? or is it just as crapie,

yea next time I MUST REMBER TO TAKE THE SHIT OUT OF THE BABY DIAPER. :dance:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Send it off to TURBOCAT for a park and GC job. You'll see his ad in the SERVICES section. In fact, he has one of my 107FR's right now :grin:

Eric does great work. You won't be dissapointed!

Before you get it refinished, make sure the rifle work's...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lionhart said:
Before you get it refinished, make sure the rifle work's...
your right, that one thing I want to do soon, that way if it need to go back can can do both,

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"if I do Acetone to strip it will the parkizine be good like a U.S. Army oark job?"

Well - yes and no...

You see, this is why it's a VERY GOOD idea to do a chemical strip. A number of 106's ARE Parked under the Squid Ink... mine for example. I understand that later in production, Arsenal began to ship units that were NOT parked under the paint.

If you DO have Park under the junk paint? Acetone will just get it real clean :) It will be light grey, and PERFECT for a nice GunKoat refinish.

TWO PARTS on your 106 MAY need paintstripper - the top cover and cleaning rod. Look at the rifle... does the paint on these look different? Like me, you may have a 106 that shipped with "old style" Bulgy paint on these parts... it's a bit stronger, but nothing ZSTRIP and a toothbrush can't handle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YEA I am going to just uesd it untill it need refinish, I just am mad that i payed $795.00 and for that the finish should be good,,,

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is this a different finish then what Bulgaria used on their military rifles? The paint thats on my Bulgy AKS-74 parts kits will come off with a strong solvent but it sure wont flake off with my finger nail.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
dr1553? You have what I like to term "Old Style" Bulgy paint. All of my kits (and many of Arsenals dust covers) are like this. "Old Style" is stronger - requires something like ZSTRIP to get it off, though Acetone will attack it mildly.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Tanker...don't mean to be an a** hole here but join the club...it's a really large membership of dickheaded Arsenal ak fanatics that have gotten used to buying high dollar Arsenal ak's whose finish ain't worth a s**t (I"m almost in line to be president or maybe janitor of the club)...but, operationally, the guns are still some of the best ak's produced in the world...the first thing you can do is have your unit refinished (parked or parked and painted) or...you can buy a tube of your wife's favorite mascara...it makes a wonderful touch up for the Arsenal finish...yes, it's the s**ts to buy a $700-$800 gun and have to re-finish it but these fricking Bulgarians seem to think that's just ok :roll:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts