AK Rifles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK got a few SAM5s I'm looking at, I'll get them at dealer or very close to it.

Would you pick a:

SAM5 Ban version with a side rail

---OR----

SAM5 No Ban without side rail.

( I kinda like the brake on the Ban version better than the No Ban version, but a side rail is always a nice plus on a .223 ak I would probably eventually put optics on it anyway.)

Any suggestions? :neutral:

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
SAM5 No Ban without side rail.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Tough choice. Either one would be a great score. I think I would opt for the no-ban model.

However, you state you plan to put optics on it. If the absence of a bayo lug and permanently attached muzzle brake aren't issues with you, buy the ban model.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
ohsonofa said:
Id say a no ban and have a smith install a siderail for you?
Couldn't he do the opposite as well? Buy the ban model and change out the FSB? I ask only because I am not familiar with the Bulgy's. If you do not have any AK's with the rail, then I say buy the ban model.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
+1 what Templar said.

I am in the market too. What is your cost going to be for the no-ban version??? I have seen them for about $669 on the auction sites. Now they seem to sell really fast.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Templar said:
No ban.........it'll be cheaper to install a rail than it would be to unban it.

And we have a winner!

Plus the aftermarket companies keep dreaming up new ways to mount optics on an AK.

I'm not all that 100% sold on the side-rail concept: the throw-lever of whatever optic you mount tends to snag on things.

There's always the Ultimak gas tube mount which I've heard good things about.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Get the no-ban version. The brake on the ban version can be had for a no-ban, that is what is great about having a threaded muzzle, mount whatever brake you want to. Side rails are everywhere, and cheaper and easier to install.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Get the No Ban, if you decide you want a rail you can get it later ... :twisted:

P.S. SA M-5's kick ass ... :hail:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
vatolocal said:
+1 what Templar said.

I am in the market too. What is your cost going to be for the no-ban version??? I have seen them for about $669 on the auction sites. Now they seem to sell really fast.
OK guys I'll grab the No-Ban then. I think they ran both very close to 550 something dealer, not 100% sure so I'll have to check again.

G

·
No ban model and install the rail. I just saw a place with Russian siderails for $15.00 yesterday but didn't save the link. Cheapest I have seen them.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dieter122 said:
JaketheSnake said:
vatolocal said:
+1 what Templar said.

OK guys I'll grab the No-Ban then. I think they ran both very close to 550 something dealer, not 100% sure so I'll have to check again.
umm..

you gona be able to hook me up? :confused:

i need a SAM5 ban version.... im dieing over here! :eek:
sorry man the ban version sold already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts