AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since im doing a battlefield pick up with this build, why not experiment a bit with some blueing. So I decided to try the fastest and easiest, cold blue. Sanded and buffed the receiver removed the surface rust which grows like weed down here in south Fl because of the humidity. I did not do a perfect polish job because its just a battlefield pick up, could have buffed out the raw metal like chrome but I did not want to spend that much time on it. This it after a thin coat of gun oil.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Nice job! Would like to see some built pictures.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Looks good! Which cold blue did you use?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job! Would like to see some built pictures.
Once its built I will post pics. Its not going to look as nice as these pics since I will be doing a battlefield pick up, will be buffing it down to give it the sand worn look with silver steel peeking out from behind the blue.

·
Registered
833 Posts
That is the method I want to use on a Romey kit I have. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Nice job BTW.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Do you have problems with cold blue not really protecting the metal? It's a dye more than a rustproofing right? I'm in GA and my cold blued BFPU M70AB1 (slabside) rusted inside and outside on the receiver after using M67 ammo. Was not a happy camper!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have problems with cold blue not really protecting the metal? It's a dye more than a rustproofing right? I'm in GA and my cold blued BFPU M70AB1 (slabside) rusted inside and outside on the receiver after using M67 ammo. Was not a happy camper!!
Any blue will rust if you do not keep it lightly oiled.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It will rust if you don't clean after using corrosive ammo.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Say, your's came out nice. I look forward to seeing it complete. I have also used Super Blue on the Egyptian Khyber Pass I built. I sandblasted and then applied the Superblue. Came out really nice. About as good as some hot bluing ive seen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts