AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After ten years of collecting (much of it with the help of the members of this forum) I have a fairly large collection of Kalashnikov bayos

A problem most of us with large collections encounter is how to display them..

So with the help of fellow collector Myke1419's advice and techniques, I came up with this system

wpid-20131222_134831_wm.jpg

wpid-20131222_124918-1_wm.jpg

Video Tour:

I am always interested in comments, suggestions and new ideas, so please let me know if you've seen interesting ways to display bayos !

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Man, Awesome.

Much impressed.

Can you post bigger pics?

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Excellent...Excellent...Excellent...You Win!

(does that Doby bite?)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well done! I have seen people use lath strips in a similar way to display their collections, but the bamboo is much more interesting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done! I have seen people use lath strips in a similar way to display their collections, but the bamboo is much more interesting.
and FREE, that is more $$ for bayos :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I like your "Man Cave " .

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You seem to be missing an iraqi bayonet!
Tell me about it.. I could list off all the ones I've missed at great prices too..

I keep telling people, this might seem large, but I bet it's only about half or even 1/3 of what a full collection might look like

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Really nice grouping! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
972 Posts
A very nice and tantalizing array of AK bayos! I know collectors whom live in places where they can enjoy displaying their treasures "in the open". Some have even designed secret rooms with false walls to gain entry within their homes. However, my overriding concern has always been about security, even though I did/do live in a low-crime area. For firearms, everything is secured in a safe for both security and potential liability concerns. For general militaria such as bayonets, my preference is use of either Lista or Stanley "Vidmar" industrial tool cabinets.

The Lista models come in three widths and various heights. They have seven different drawer depths and are metric in dimension. The Vidmar models are similar in design and construction with eleven drawer depths and are in SAE dimension. Both manufacturers certify their drawers are capable of holding about 400 pounds of weight each without danger of collapse. None of these are cheap.

Some years ago I used to attend the various DRMO auctions at military bases in the southern half of California. I was able to acquire a number of cabinets of both types; often at 10% or less the cost of new (for example a $3,000.00 cabinet for $300.00).. Air Bases (such as Edwards AFB) were particularly fruitful because of the proximity to where I used to live, and such military installations tended to have the best product. Auction sites like Ebay can also prove a good place to look as well. Pictured is a Lista first generation "double-wide". Height is 3/4 of standard. Dimensions are approximately 46 inches high x 58 inches wide x 30 inches deep. It has nine 10 cm high drawers with lock in/out latches:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Really nice cabinet!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just today received 5 bayos from CDNN at $10. each with $5. shipping. They were covered heavily in casmoline I was wondering WTF > So I put 1" of gas in a old Tupperware pan & washed them with a brush. Much to my surprise these babies are almost new. Of the 5, 4 have match bayo to scabbard s/n's. What a jack pot !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts