AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im a noob to this forum, and a noob to working on fire arms, but NOT a noob to doing machine work, and using tools.

So that aside, Ive go a MAK-90 that is bone stock, and fairly un-used. The threads on the end of hte barrel have been mostly turned off, and I want to put a muzzle brake on the end.

SO, the big question: What are my options?

Thanks!
clay

·
Technical Advisor
15,622 Posts
Thread it to 1/2 28 and there is or was a fellow on this board selling US made copies of slant brakes in 1/2 28 for about $20 or 2 for $35, I believe.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flyingjibus said:
or thread it to 14 to 1 LH and use all the other brakes and such out there.
Some kind of thread was turned down to make this rifle compliant, and Im assuming they were the M14x1. Am I wrong in my thinking?

·
Technical Advisor
15,622 Posts
ClayC said:
Flyingjibus said:
or thread it to 14 to 1 LH and use all the other brakes and such out there.
Some kind of thread was turned down to make this rifle compliant, and Im assuming they were the M14x1. Am I wrong in my thinking?
You are correct. Disregard the 14/1 issue. Barrel diameter is too small. You are closer to .510 to .515" or so. Always pays to caliper it first but that is the norm for turned down MAK and Maadi rifles.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
MAK90

All of the MAK 90's I have owned had muzzles over .550" and could be threaded for 14x1mm threads. I have one BKW92 (.556mm MAK) and its as new muzzle is .485, even marginally too small to be threaded for 1/2-28 threads. The bottom line is you need close to .550" diameter muzzle to thread for 14x1mm and .500, no less than .490, to thread for 1/2-28 threads. If you don't just have to have a muzzle device on that rifle, don't worry about "correctness" because China has exported many full auto AK's that have bare muzzles.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike your barrel stub. Ignore the rhetoric, get the DATA. If you find the stub to be very close to 0.5" diameter? Thread for 1/2x28.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Try a slant comp first, I had one was threaded and not all threads were removed a slant comp screwed right on.

or JB weld a slant comp on if you get a loose fit or want one on permenently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently threaded my Mak 90 that had been turned down and I threaded it 14x1. I've read that you can't do it if the outside diameter of the barrel is less than .545-.550 BUT I did it and now it measures .549 after threading. I also have a Norinco type 56S that is a carbon copy of my Mak 90 and it came pre-threaded 14x1 with a slant brake BUT the outside diameter of those threads are only .538, so I guess there is more leeway than most believe. I have put more than a few rounds down range with no muzzle brake issues using a Tapco slot brake on the 56S and a Definitive Arms Fighter Brake on the Mak 90. I researched forums and anything I could for information on the internet for a couple weeks before buying tools and doing the Mak 90 threading myself. I bought the threading tools from CNC Warrior. I still want to do my CZ 527 which is 7.62x39 but I am holding off until I contact CZ by phone as they have not responded to my email in over a week. I have an annular cutter to cut the outside diameter down for threading 14x1 but I don't know if it is safe on that rifle due to different barrel steel. I may have to thread it for 5/8x24, we'll see, when I find out I'll update this post.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
For what it's worth I would try to rethread to the standard 14x1 left hand before going any further. It is entirely possible to have enough thread left to install a standard AK muzzle device.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
You are correct. Disregard the 14/1 issue. Barrel diameter is too small. You are closer to .510 to .515" or so. Always pays to caliper it first but that is the norm for turned down MAK and Maadi rifles.
Mike your barrel stub. Ignore the rhetoric, get the DATA. If you find the stub to be very close to 0.5" diameter? Thread for 1/2x28.
This^. Spend $10 and get a Harbor Freight digital caliper to measure before doing anything.

OTOH, depending on what you really want to accomplish, the original Type 56 Chinese AK variant did not have muzzle threads, but a folding spike bayonet.
https://2ndamendmentak47andskspart.com/products/poly-tech-chinese-ak47-front-sight-block-spiker-kit

Lots of choices and variation to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MAK90

All of the MAK 90's I have owned had muzzles over .550" and could be threaded for 14x1mm threads. I have one BKW92 (.556mm MAK) and its as new muzzle is .485, even marginally too small to be threaded for 1/2-28 threads. The bottom line is you need close to .550" diameter muzzle to thread for 14x1mm and .500, no less than .490, to thread for 1/2-28 threads. If you don't just have to have a muzzle device on that rifle, don't worry about "correctness" because China has exported many full auto AK's that have bare muzzles.
Think it be threaded to 14/1 lh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts